It's not about the bike...Shut up Lance...It so is.

I'd like to think that all my bikes are equally cool (or will be once they're all built) - but for me, it's not what other riders think of my bike, but whether I'm happy with the bike itself as a standalone entity...

I think that a smattering of anodised components, skinwall tyres, shortcage rear mechs, thumbies and skinny steel frames are cool - so as long as that's what I'm riding, I'm happy and couldn't care what other people think...

Of course, if they don't think it's cool then they're wrong, but they don't need to know that... ;) :LOL:

I don't give monkey's what people think, my bike is for me, i have a Scott Ransom adorned with excessive amounts of the wonderfull black stuff, its also one handed cos i only have one arm that works and then riding around Cannock to be told "all the gear and no idea" by some spotty twat on a cannondale prompted me to return "all prick and no balls" never judge a book by its cover, i got blown away in a race once by a kid on a raleigh mustang in a pair of trainers, i love to see retro steeds, i'm building an Overburys Pioneer, it's not as trick as the ransom it won't climb or decend like the ransom, but it will probably spit me off the same way!
More purple anodizing!!

truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter what the 'opposition' are riding.

if you smoke them going downhill on your retro build as they are making heavy work of it on 07 full sussers, then all the better.

if you dont fly past them at MAch 1 then i guess it's different.

it yourself you should be feeling guilty about,not the rig. ;)

I'm in the 'f*ck what other folk think camp'... don't give a toss if they don't like my bike, I'm making no excuses to anyone about what it is, whats on it or why I have it.... I love it - thats all that counts.

Oh yeah - don't get me wrong, it's not an insecurity about people not liking that I'm riding a retro steed, it's more about not being on a boring steed when you could be wowing/ educating the herds out there these days with the best you can be at any time.

Had a geezer come up to me the other week and say he needed a "My other bike's a Merlin" sticker on his ASR-SL when he saw my Extralight. - So it goes both ways.

Just want to make the best impression after all the work sourcing and building all the retro parts is all.

But that's an insecutiy all of it's own I suppose

Just ride.

Rather be a fit rider on a knackered old retro ride than a salad dodger on a superbike.

I have never bothered what people think about my choice of bike or componentry.

Indeed I take great pleasure in buying good, anonymous kit rather than flash names.

The Kalloy seat post on my 'dale, is a great example it's the same as a Ritchey (made by Kalloy of course) just not as well polished and with no laser cut logo. But it functions just as well, still looks good and was a third of the price.

I always loved the fact that my Yeti looked very understated, but you'd still get nods of appreciation from the connoisseurs. Just let your legs do the talking ...

Back