Respray or not?

steveslow

Devout Dirtbag
Dear all, I'm looking for some advice.

I've just dropped off a 92 Breezer Storm at my LBS to try and remove the seized seatpost and b/b. The guy in the shop is a retro enthusiast (he has an early 90s Kona), so I asked him about professionally respraying the frame (would use Argos), as the paint is tatty along the chainstay and a few other places. His view is that it will devalue the bike, as it will no longer be original. What do you guys think?

The only question should be - do you want to respray the bike?

If you want shiny new paint, then do it; if you don't, then don't!

Simple as...

Part of the Breezer appeal, at least IMO, was the paint fade from the color to white around the head tube and seat tube. If you could replicate this, and the beautiful Breezer decals, then it'd be worth it. It would be sacriledge to have a Breezer without said graphics. Again, this is only my opinion...

restoring any bike worth saving is a good thing. argos can duplicate the paint quality & decals no problem.

steveslow":y6i3eylm said:
Thanks for the advice - I totally agree that I should only respray if Argos could exactly match the colour detailing & decals. Basically, it needs to look like this when finished: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643&highlight=breezer

Is the consensus that they would be able to do it?

I dont think they're "california yuppie" or "storm" standard, but yeh breezer should be fairly easy. ask if they've done one before.

Are you going to sell it?

If not then do what YOU want with the frame, I'd respray, nothing like a fresh coat of paint and some new cables and tyres to make a bike feel great!

I had my 1998 Clockwork resprayed in the same colours as a 1992 because I wanted to to look like that. I thing no one would say that I had ruined it. ;)

Attachments

• Copy of loved bikes live inside 002.jpg
    Copy of loved bikes live inside 002.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,658
The bike shop dude is a fool.

Offer me a 1990 bike that looks mint but has had a re-spray and the same bike with tatty chipped paint and rust where its worn out totally, and I'll pay the premium for the re-sprayed ride every time!

Thanks guys. Looks like I need to save a few pennies and head to Argos cycles. Really looking forward to getting the bike together.

Back