It's not about the bike...Shut up Lance...It so is.

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My Other Bike's a...Have you got a retro or other chip on your shoulder?

I have.

There's one thing I seem to have not yet got passed entirely in the whole p*ssing contest side of biking and that's riding the 'wrong' machine.

Let me explain...

I know it's wrong, and you shouldn't care, and it points to all manner of insecurities, but I can't help it - when I come up on a group of riders (especially 'new school' - all discs and whistles) and I'm not on the 'right' bike, I feel like I should be.

For me, that's the extralight ti hardtail. For others it could be the perfect '90 Attitude or the last of the Fat's - or the first of the Fat's - or any of the Fat's...

The statement is unmistakable. And I know you shouldn't care and it's all about the ride, blah, blah, blah. But I'm sorry, if that were true all bikes would be plain grey with the same graphics and Deore components.

And they aren't are they?

So is the answer a "My other bike's a..." sticker - *John, how about some of those?

Or could it be getting over it and just riding and when you're on the non discript one, telling yourself - it doesn't matter that no one you meet today knows you usually ride the best steel framed beauty ever made.

Or is it to only have equally cool steeds so any choice is the right one and you can hold your head up high and have no regrets.

I have chosen the latter. So If I am on the cross bike, I know 'most' people won't understand it and it makes me feel good being the guy that is 'appearing out of the woods on a racer' as I was described the other week.

I did even have two Merlins at one point, which would have made a "My Other Bike's a Merlin" sticker even more rude.

Apologies for the length of this ramble, but do others have this struggle? Or are you comfortable enough with yourselves to not need to shout about your bike choice to anyone that sees you in the middle of nowhere and probably doesn't even care/ understand anyway?

Or do you have one 'perfect' bike and not have this problem. Maybe that's the answer.

No - I've done that - it doesn't last.

Hmmm....

I think I'm with you (lost it a bit in the middle there!) - when I'm on any of my bikes I sometimes wish I had a sticker that says "my other bikes are ...", sadly it is an insecurity thing, but we live with it.

I agree, in a kinda different way - my main bikes are both Ti with XT or Ultegra, so sounds flash (although they're not merlin pedigree), but they're set-up to suit me and the way i ride rather than fashion, so the MTB has low risers and barends ( :oops: ) and the road bike has rack mounts and masses of spacers under the riser stem so the bars are the same height as the saddle (as it lets me use the drops more without hurting my back)

so on first look they don't look that special and are not with the lastest trend but they are nice bikes are I'd not really want to change anything, thus i need/want a sticker saying that it is special, or something like that...

Ditto Ziggy.

My BOTM runner up Clockwork is my most modern bike.

Besides, "My other bikes are a Pace and 2 Titanium Dyna-Tech's" is a bit long winded. ;)

last time out , was on the RTS , got passed by about 15 "modern" riders

one of them about 40 , the rest about 16

came up on me sudden like , in the opposite direction , i was lost in the "zone"

all of them ringing their bells and whistling , and when i was past them all ,

did i care , did i **** , i could not distinguish one frame from another

at least i got noticed :p

:cool:

Stick Legs":3c1ylvmn said:
Besides, "My other bikes are a Pace and 2 Titanium Dyna-Tech's" is a bit long winded. ;)

Likewise! "You'd have to ask what my other bikes were too" Could work...

Proflex really gets them confused :D Saracen they just assume is some old POS... Orange is least retro so least noticable I s'pose. Can't wait to take the Fat out, but I know nobody'll appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back