What was your 1st ever upgrade? What led you to this point?

Pace forks on my 89 Bear Valley, All i can remember is they were straight, black with an aluminium crown and a black pace logo, i thought thet looked the dogs nads, then came an xt chainset, drive side only, someone had nicked the left crank arm ( wrong one doofuss ! )

Tricky question, my memory ain't what it was...
Probably some Onza Ski-bends or an Answer Hyperlite.
Then came the Hope Ultralight/Ambrosio purple snowflaked front wheel which I still have. :cool:

Brake levers. No mark Cheng Shin nonsense came off and on went some no mark Halfords nonsense.

I know a little more now than I did then.

Well I don't count the replacement frame on my Raleigh Mirage, caused by an excess of enthusiasm over ability on the Isle of White, a month after I got this my first bike.

Luckily Raleigh replaced it under their 15 year frame warranty.

First real upgrade was the next year when I entered my first race and tore the rear mech (an Exage County) off in practice. Managed to borrow a spare for the race but went straight out and bought an XT afterwards.

Well, I'm came upon mtb's a little later than most in '95 so my first mtb was a Raleigh Saturn, no laughing at the back please. First upgrade was a set of Koolstops to avoid near death experiences in the wet. Second upgrade was a set of decent tyres for similar reasons!
Third upgrade was a decent bike, a DBR WCF Vertex which I still have and am very fond of although it is a bit of a Garage Queen these days!

Now I just upgrade/downgrade/retrograde anything depending on mood/budget/ebay!

Kev

Remembrance of things past

Dayglo pink Onza bar ends (which I cut shorter before stogies came along) for the rigid Zaskar (with the flip flop stem).
Avocet shoes - not cleated but somehow rigid soled for MTB (so the ads claimed) and Tioga straps.
Followed by Onza clipless.
Think I went to Yeti grips fairly early doors too.

Must check the old pics....

Neil

I had a Cannondale SM800 which was quite cool at the time. But one day it just beat the hell out of me on a rocky downhill and decided its fate.
My next day off was spent in Leisure Lakes bike shop signing up for Pace forks, A-head stem, Pace hubs and a Cook brothers 'dog bone' crankset. (I had to buy all of them at once to qualify for their finance deal).
All those parts except the SM800 are still in regular use.
Did I sure get my money's worth!!

Actually, the Cannondale was sold to a friend of a friend and is still in use and its XT group is on my cousins Kona Cindercone, and still in use.

Fairly certain it was changing from the stock 135mm stem to something a little shorter after I found that I couldn't get my weight back far enough on the old Peugeot on some steep descents the hard way.

Back