1992 Saracen TuffTrax Elite. Project: Stay Same

Jamesl94

Dirt Disciple
Hey guys,

have been out of the biking scene for about 6 years (used to have a kona skinky, stuff, 24seven v24, DMRtransition) and I have forgot absolutely everything, so bare with me while I get my bearings (excuse the pun) back!

Some people change their bikes, and as time goes by, the bike is less and less what it used to be.

This bike hasn't been ridden since 94', so is in perfect condition, not a scratch. Absolutely no rust. Nothing has seized up for needs replacing, nothing. All I did was pump the tyres up, spray a bit of oil on moving components and I was good to go for the first ride of this bike in 15 years.

I can honestly say this is the nicest bike I have even ridden after owning about 10 bikes in my life and going on hundreds. When you are on it, you feel at one with the bike and can feel absolutely everything, which you loose with suspension because it just sponges it out. When you are going for a fast corner, you can feel what the bike is doing and when it is starting to loose grip and how much brake needs to be applied.

I had forgotten about this bike as it was in my shed behind a mountain of bikes, and today I went in their and found this.

I do not plan to change anything on the bike, nothing what so ever.

I am going to keep it standard so it is a nice piece to look and, and a trip down memory lane for those who remember this bike when it was new.

I am going to maintain it nicely and look after it.

I am on the look out swaps, so if you have something a little different, but nice, don't hesitate to contact me.

James

Frame: 1992 TuffTrax Elite Cro-Molly

Fork: Saracen standard

Headset: Ritchey
Stem: ZOOM
Handlebar: Zoom
Grips: Tioga
Barends: none

Brakes: Shimano LX
Brake Pads: " "
Brake Cables: " "
Cantilever cable hangers: " "
Brake Levers: " "

Shifters: " "
Front Derailleur: " "
Rear Derailleur: " "
Derailleur Cables: " "
Cassette: " "
Chain: " "
Cranks: " "
Crank Bolts: " "
Chainrings: " "
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket: " "
Pedals: Standard Shimano LX ones

Hub Skewers: Shimano LX
Rims: Ritchey standards
Hubs: Shimano LX
Nipples: Ritchey
Spokes: Ritchey
Tyres: Tioga
Tubes: dont know, never had a puncture to see them!

Saddle: Tioga
Seatpost: Tioga
Seatpost Binder: Shimano

Weight: LIGHT!

DSC_1071.jpg

DSC_1072.jpg

DSC_1070.jpg

That's a lovely bike - and I couldn't agree more. There's something beautifully uncomplicated about bikes of this era and quality.

And the Saracens were very good for a time - I had a Sahara (not elite) in 1990 - and while the group set was a bit rubbish (200GS) it was a great ride.

Good to see that you decided to keep hold of this one James.
It's a great looking bike from a great year and in mint condition. I know that a couple of people were a little bit disappointed when you decided not to sell, and I can see why.
Can you do me a favour and take some photos of some of the frame details, such as the rear seat cluster and the the rear drop-outs, to see how they compare to one of my frames from an as yet unknown year.

Great stuff!

Jamesl94":e3deiyt4 said:
Said bike is going down the tip. Haha.

Strange comment to post on a forum populated by people interested in collecting, restoring and riding old bikes don't you think? :roll:

Perhaps you should just put it on eBay for £20 BIN as you had originally intended and let someone who wants it get their hands on it...

Back