is a '92 scapin retro enough?

dookie

Kona Fan
i hope you're not disappointed to find no lugs, no chrome, and no SLX here.

how can this be? os steel was the hot material in the early 90s, and this was the scapin take on it. a bit indecisive build in columbus el-os, fillet-brazed headtube with everything else tigged, except for lugs at the chainstay/BB interface. go figure.

neon was in at the time, but even so, only an italian bike could get away with being this color! it's even brighter than it looks. if you can imagine, it originally had red tires & white seat/bar tape/cables...italian maybe?

most parts original and/or period-correct...1st gen chorus ergopower 8spd complete, open 4cd rims, concor saddle. the cockpit has changed significantly though: the original 7075 bars/cro-mo stem and (also green) el-os unicrown fork were replaced with ec90s and an ouzo pro. big improvement! only shimano is the ultegra pedals..."shimano breaks, campy breaks in".

i even bought a carbon post on a whim (and sold the original mavic, grr!), without realising the layback. i need to get a straight one back in there...anybody want a 29.4 x 300 fsa?

scapin.jpg

Sweet, big old bars you've got there!

You're right that a more conventional post would look good as well.

I worked for the Dutch Scapin importer mid nineties. I found them well made frames with quirky detailling here and there. Tearshape toptube and specially machined RS crown for the MTBs (to avoid downtube bashing) for example.

I like them.

Back