Rascal...The Triumverate is Complete!

Time to take the Rascal down from the rafters and build her up! This is how its been hanging there, waiting for me to get my butt in gear. Yes, this means that the orange EWR will have to wait. What can I say...I've got two EWRs built, isn't that ok for now? Maybe?! :? :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_4163.jpg
    IMG_4163.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,943
Lovely frame. Glad your leaving it rigid. That's how Kleins should be. The colour is even better in the flesh. A friend had one BITD. :cool:

utahdog2003":w08mygwq said:
I have no interest in collecting a slew of bikes...I just want to get back the three really great bikes that I've owned over the years...the ones that fit my style.

ahem! :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Quiver!
2008 EWR Original Woods - built
2001 TST/Sandvik (Dean, Kona, DBR, etc...) - built
1997 EWR E-Motion - frame
1997 Kona Lava Dome - frame
1995 GT Zaskar - frame
1994 EWR Original Woods SS - built
1993 Cannondale Beast of the East - built
1993 Yokota Yosemite Columbus OR - frame
1990 GT Avalanche Team - frame
1990 Klein Rascal - frame
2001 Carrera Delphino - built

Nice build so far! :cool:

kaiser":2giv7hgv said:

You beat me to it! :LOL: ;)

utahdog2003":2giv7hgv said:
The Cannondale Beast of the East. Poke fun all you want about Cannondales. Do they creak? Sure! Are they Pontiac Trans-Am geeky? Hell yeah! Was the Super-V not the ugliest thing ever made? You Bet! But the Beast of the East, with it's 13" BB and feather weight is a thing of beauty on a tight trail. Ride one with finesse, and you'll never look back.

Agreed. I loved my SM800 (black with orange splatter) until the headtube fell off. :cry:

kaiser":27owki8u said:
utahdog2003":27owki8u said:
I have no interest in collecting a slew of bikes...I just want to get back the three really great bikes that I've owned over the years...the ones that fit my style.

Quiver!
2008 EWR Original Woods - built
2001 TST/Sandvik (Dean, Kona, DBR, etc...) - built
1997 EWR E-Motion - frame
1997 Kona Lava Dome - frame
1995 GT Zaskar - frame
1994 EWR Original Woods SS - built
1993 Cannondale Beast of the East - built
1993 Yokota Yosemite Columbus OR - frame
1990 GT Avalanche Team - frame
1990 Klein Rascal - frame
2001 Carrera Delphino - built

Hey! I WANTED to stop at just the three, I swear! I blame YOU guys! :LOL: :LOL:

Like the Zaskar and the Avalanche?! I have no idea why I own those two things. :? :D

The Kona is supposed to be a rider at some point. Sort of a modded vintage theme, like my Cannondale, but for dirt. The Yokota is a paint project.

Oh who am I kidding. I've lost my mind. :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Complete!

http://utahdoglives.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... plete.html

Frame: Klein Rascal

Fork: Klein/Spinner Cro-Mo

Headset: Tange
Stem: Control Tech
Handlebar: Control Tech
Grips: Specialized
Barends: Hell No

Brakes: Control Tech
Brake Pads: Kool Stop grey
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Control Tech
Brake Levers: Kooka Racha

Shifters: Deore DX thumbies
Front Derailleur: Deore DX
Rear Derailleur: Deore DX
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Deore DX
Chain: Shimano HG
Cranks: Ritchey Logic
Crank Bolts: SRP - green
Chainrings: Ritchey
Chainring bolts: SRP - green
Bottom Bracket: Klein
Pedals: Shimano XTR

Hub Skewers: Salsa - green
Rims: Campagnolo Stheno silver 32 holers
Hubs: Deore XT black
Nipples: brass
Spokes: DT 2.0/1.8
Tyres: Ritchey Z-Max
Tubes: Specialized 'thin'

Saddle: SDG
Seatpost: Thomson silver 410mm
Seatpost Binder: Paul Components Blue Balls
Bottle Cage: Ringle - green
Weight:about 22 lbs or so.

Build notes...I ganked the Campy rim idea from a certain Klein-guru in Finland. And I know Kooka is on my %^*# list...believe me, I'm well aware, but they are the least offensive Kooka-ism in my book, so what the hell. Kooka seat posts?...Cranks? No way!!! :shock: :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4191small.JPG
    IMG_4191small.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 1,170
utahdog2003":13ii9z9m said:
And I know Kooka is on my %^*# list...believe me, I'm well aware, but they are the least offensive Kooka-ism in my book, so what the hell. Kooka seat posts?...Cranks? No way!!! :shock: :cool:

:roll: bending the rules to suit yourself :roll: shame on you :LOL:

That is really nice, almost anti klein in its classiness :cool:

kaiser":2frpf9ov said:
utahdog2003":2frpf9ov said:
And I know Kooka is on my %^*# list...believe me, I'm well aware, but they are the least offensive Kooka-ism in my book, so what the hell. Kooka seat posts?...Cranks? No way!!! :shock: :cool:

:roll: bending the rules to suit yourself :roll: shame on you :LOL:

Well, after one ride, I can say that I was a fool for trying these POS Kooka things...no matter how cheap they were. They are, in typical Kooka fashion, beautiful and well made garbage. Completely non-functional. So, after all of 18 hours on the bike, they are gone, in favor of the Real units.

All this really means, is that all you poor folks who are tired of hearing me bitch about what garbage the cranks are, now have to listen to me complain about the levers! ;)

The bike was great though...very llight, quick, and painfully stiff! :cool: :LOL:

kaiser":2frpf9ov said:
That is really nice, almost anti klein in its classiness :cool:

As Neill pointed out when I got the Klein last year, I'm not really a Klein kinda guy, at least in the sense of dressing the things with flash. It's pretty purpose built, and that's the way I like it! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4210small.JPG
    IMG_4210small.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 1,128
I never liked the levers either, nice and light and pretty to look at but felt too spindly in use, not very tactile.

Back