Phillips Phaser

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Pulled this out from the cellar today with a view to cleaning it up. Single front ring, five on the rear. Too small for me so it'll have to go.

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0949.jpg

Probably late 60s or early 70s I'd guess. Anyone know about Phillips bikes? Linked to Raleigh?

Ahhhh - Just found a small TI Raleigh sticker on the downtube. :roll: Nice wee bike tho'. 5 gear simplicity :D I would've killed for something like this in 1971 :oops:

looks like early 80's by those der, derra, mechs.

quite collectable because of its originallity, from what I observed on fleabay at least.

Badge engineering by Raleigh, Sun were another as well as Triumph, nothing to write home about, often more basic spec than a Raleigh badged bike.

Strangely though I like this kind of bike, more fool me :roll:

The bike's dynamite! What a looker! Looks a bit like modern cork handlebar wrap.

I'm told in it's day, Phillips was a real empire, they were Raleigh's big competitor. There were places in the world Raleigh was, but not Phillips, then, like in Iraq, there was Phillips but not Raleigh. 3 speed Phillips and 28" wheels, green olive colour, headlamp.

I can understand a lot of the history and most of those other companies, Robin Hood, etc. I accept getting merged with Raleigh. Somehow, I wish Phillips had not been because that must have been a great company. I wonder what it was like back in the day. http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/sh ... php?t=9474 Last story in the discussion I like. I'm sure those are really great bikes, not easy to replace a 28" wheel though in India they still make bikes like that.

although im a massive lover of what raleigh used to be (not this modern taiwan crap) phillips is another of the great companys it singlehandedly killed, not even a battle of the greatest either, they did the usual trick of buyin em out and running them down as a lesser bike untill it went off the shelf. like sunbeam realy... liked them too

Latest posts

Back