92 Kona Cinder Cone Rebuild - Advice Needed Please!

Stuck again

Oh dear, just when i thought everything waS sorted..! The un54 bb has arrived in the post, but it doesn't fit into the frame. There seems to be a tube right in the centre section of the aperture on the frame which reduces the diameter by approx 1cm right in the middle. Is this a part of the old tange bb that i can tap out with a small chisel and hammer? Or is it something that is part of the frame due to the greasing nipple that hangs below the bb section?? Any further advice gratefully received! I have everything else lined up for the rebuild so can post a completed photo when this is done (although still waiting for the 26.4 seatpost which i finally sourced from jeJames cycles!). Then i can move on to my 96 kilauea

Sounds like the plastic insert, normally there when non-sealed cartridge type BB's are used.
Just pull it out.
But wait for another answer to confirm this :oops: :LOL:
Cheers
Carl

Sounds like the plastic pipe seal is still in the frame, if you remove the grease nipple (no longer needed) and the seal will come out. Nipple undoes with a small spanner. I would then fit new BB and replace nipple with a small bolt to secure the cable guide under the bb shell. I think from memory you will require a M5 at bout 6mm long. If you fit the grease nipple back in it will foul on the cartridge BB and rip the frame. If you dont have any M5 bolts put an old v brake spacer on the nipple before you fit it and that sould do you till a bolt is sorted.

Gravy Monster":3uu0wv4p said:
Sounds like the plastic pipe seal is still in the frame, if you remove the grease nipple (no longer needed) and the seal will come out. Nipple undoes with a small spanner. I would then fit new BB and replace nipple with a small bolt to secure the cable guide under the bb shell. I think from memory you will require a M5 at bout 6mm long. If you fit the grease nipple back in it will foul on the cartridge BB and rip the frame. If you dont have any M5 bolts put an old v brake spacer on the nipple before you fit it and that sould do you till a bolt is sorted.

Yep - what he said :!: Although i rode around for ages without replacing the bolt at all - didn't give any probs

Back