1996 Univega Alpina 506

tony gti-r

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my first post so i thought it fitting to show what i ride first!

Its a 1996 Univega Alpina 506 in green

I have had the bike since new and it has served me well, i rode it nearly every day from buying it up until i got my driving licence in 1999 lol

It has been in the garage ever since and only been out 2 or 3 times in that time.

Heres the spec:

18.5" cro-mo frame
Qranc riser DH bars
Concept stem and dia comp a-head set
Concept seat post with Bontrager seat
Shimano Deore LX sti shifter/levers, Hubs, Front mech, and Vs` which replaced the LX cantis`
XT rear mech
Middleburn middle chainring
Mavic 221 rims
Odessey Triple trap pedals
Cateye mity 2 computer
Crud Catcher

Everything is pre 1997 appart from the new additions

Which are:

Suntour shocks
Deore LX Vs`
SRAM chain (the old shimano IG had over 3000miles on it lol)
??????? road tyres
Continental Explorer off road tyres

Onto the pics:

SDC10798.jpg

SDC10799.jpg

SDC10800.jpg

SDC10801.jpg

Not sure if i want to swap out the Vs` for the original cantis, and i think the pedals will be changed for something a bit more suited.

Any comments/ advice welcome on helping me clean it up.

Tony....

Updated a little

Sourced a set of original bars and added a set of DX Vs and XT Shifters, fitted the standard forks as I`m waiting on a steerer tube for my 97 Z2 Bombers.

I always wanted the Z2s` and a set of the DX Vs for this when I first got it but couldnt afford them back then.

Rebuilt the original Deore LX hubs and took it out for a ride round the country park next to work at lunch.

It was lovely and clean for about 10 seconds! hope to get some better pics too.

SDC11855.jpg

SDC11856.jpg

SDC11857.jpg

SDC11858.jpg

Tony....

They were well spec'd and light for the money. Then the name became slightly more established and they lost the advantage. Good bikes though ;)

CTK":5n1ye5z7 said:
I really like the shape of Univegas 'drop down' chain stays.

yeah i`ve not seen any other frames like that!

I also love how the seat clamp is also marked up as "tyre lever" lol

Never seen that before!

Fitted the Z2s` and i think i prefer it rigid!!!! after all that wait for a steerer too :roll:

Tony....

A new year a new update!

Been doing a bit of buying and selling over the last few months and I had this finished before the christmas break but work has been too hectic to get some pics of it.

The more I use this SLR the worse I get at taking pics with it! might as well have use the little digi lol

Slight spec upgrade over standard and probably how I would have gone BITD if money was no object.

USE 3DV Bars
Clear YETI grips
XTR M950 Levers & Vs
XT M739 Shifter pods
USE 3DV Seatpost
XTR M950 Cranks & B/B
Surly 36t Ring 3DV bolts
XTR M952 Rear Mech with 3DV jockeys and bolts
Ritchey MegaBites
Ringle Twisters in 3DV (still need the seat clamp one)

Still to go on are the XTR M950 Hubs when I find some 32h ceramic mavics.

Also waiting on a set of 3DV cantis from DrS but unsure if i`m going to use them????

Let me know what you think and suggestions welcome....

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

Tony.... ;)

The purple goes really well with the colour of the frame. Get the cantis on!

don't know whats wrong with me latley but I like the ano on this bike too :shock: looks a great riding bike and it looks great love the progression from the original set up- how do you find the gears now? Your just messing about get it single speeded you know you want to ;)

CTK":3152rzt5 said:
The purple goes really well with the colour of the frame. Get the cantis on!

I was really unsure how the grey green 3DV would work but I think it looks good

I will fit the cantis and see if they work with the XTR levers, thats why I left the canti hanger on. ;)

clockworkgazz":3152rzt5 said:
don't know whats wrong with me latley but I like the ano on this bike too looks a great riding bike and it looks great love the progression from the original set up- how do you find the gears now? Your just messing about get it single speeded you know you want to

The only ride its done was down the carpark at work with a foot of snow and I fell off so cant really say yet lol

I dont think I will ever single speed this bike but will be sticking to single front ring and take off the front mech untill I find a decent M950 one a some more rings that fit the cranks.

Tony....

Lovely looking bike mate, i have an Univega Alpina 5.5 myself and love it :D
Has yours got the clip on the fork dropouts to stop the wheel falling out if your skewer comes undone?
Never understood the extra cage bosses under the downtube though, the bottle would always be covered in crap ;)

Back