New purchase - but what is it? Opinions?

Could be either I suppose. If it is a Raleigh it's an 86 with a Worksop serial number (they kept using them when they moved production to Nottingham for the high end stuff). There are a lot of them around here, seeing as I live near Worksop and not far from Nottingham. It could be a Carlton too of course.

I'd be surprised if it's not 653, the decals were put on at the same time as the refin, and I wouldn't expect a respected company (Rourke that is) to put the wrong decals on. It's certainly very light.

I've just Googled the Record Ace Moderne, and found some good pics of an 89 example, the frame details are identical, except mine has chrome forks and mudguard eyes. A frame only is entirely possible too though.

It does look like a Raliegh. Gipiemme long point window lugs, the 3 top tube guides and the tell-tale " divers helmet" stop on the chainstay.

V Nice :)

Hmm, 86 would be early for 653. At some point it was called 531 Pro (red sticker) and then the name changed. I think 86 would make it 531 Pro.

81 was the first year for 653 IIRC, but I'm not sure it was used much then. Could be 531 though I s'pose.

Shifters may be RXS100, they aren't Sora as I have some of those and they can't be 8 or 9 speed modern stuff or else changing gear would be a lottery ;)

NickD":3r177kdj said:
81 was the first year for 653 IIRC, but I'm not sure it was used much then. Could be 531 though I s'pose.

653 definitely wasn't around in 1981. The first year was more like 1987.

I'd be surprised if it was 653 more likely to be 531ST I should have thought. I don't know of any frame makers that would go to the expense of building 653 race tubeset and then add dropouts with with mudguard eyelets ;)and build the rear brake bridge with mudguard clearance. :roll:
The replacement forks have close clearance but the rear isn't.

If this was a 653 frame I would expect it to have at least a front mech braize-on and possibly a chain hanger stud too on the rear seat stay.

The pierced spearpoint lugs should be quite diagnostic. They suggest a quality frame but other features do not . The 653 decals should be special refurb ones not original decals which is a bit naughty of the refinisher.

Weighing the frame completly bare might give a clue to its tubeset

All together a bargain bike for sure but of uncertain pedigree hence the price

We're assuming the refinisher put the decals on - or those ones anyway. Ten quid and an account on eBay lets you perform alchemy.

Peanut - it's got a chain hanger. It is looking more like it's a 531 frame and the 653 decals are a case of wishful thinking.

Back