Denial...or how to live with a retro habit and love yourself

You think bikes are expensive? Try horses... ;)

I could spend £1k on a retrobike and it would still pale into comparison against the costs of our horses...!

Hence why, a) I'm skint(ish!), and b) a couple of hundred on retro parts is nothing in the long run!

And they also mean I have no time for any other hobbies really, so that helps! I did/do occasionally drag my board out and go for a skate, and have been known to dabble in the watercooled Dub scene as well... Oh, and I also have a little bit of music studio equipment attached to my PC...

At the end of the day, there is a lot of bad sh*t going on in this world - spending money that you've worked hard for on stuff that makes you happy and isn't causing anyone any harm (and might actually make you fitter!) is pretty low on my list of things to worry about... :)

Summer is on the way, build a bike and go ride!

That is why...

It wasn't so much about justification - I am a spin doctor supreme at that. More that I have noticed that when I am supposed to be doing something specific, grand and important, I fnd myself with too many chainsets all of a sudden.

So maybe if I can balance it a bit more there can be the things that 'need' to be done instead of the things that 'don't need' to be bought and then the things that do need to be bought will feel even better.

Hobbies - try turning the already expensive hobby of photography into a business! That's bloody stupid money! (but a lot of fun).

:D

Every time Mrs Hilts mentions that I am tinkering too much i inform her that pre Child I used to spend 6 hrs each weekend playing golf so she's lucky I am even at home.... This and ensuring her bank account is never empty keeps me sweet...and the postie knows that all large packages go straight in the shed.....

Bikes and Booze, my two main expenditsures ...

Hilts":1yxzzjy8 said:
and the postie knows that all large packages go straight in the shed....

Genius.

I have to say I have a good understanding of truth ond honesty and respect in all directions at Wu Towers and it's all good mojo on that basis.

:D

Good thread.

I find my problem is lack of riding - during the summer when I can ride a lot more I hardly spend any time thinking about bikes. But when the weather is rubbish and I have to spend time looking after small children and a very pregnant wife I find myself drooling over pimpery - and hence ebay etc.

Come the summer I hope to be too busy riding to dream about bike bits.

nail on the head there for me messiah. Ever had a forced absence from biking with an injury or otherwise? Bought a new bike to look forward to riding when you can :D

Re: Denial...or how to live with a retro habit and love your

Wu-Tangled":2073poeq said:
I think I am starting to see connection between periods of extended bike bits shopping/ stockpiling/ project builds, and points in my life when I am blatently denying doing what I am supposed to be doing, like getting a career up and running, or looking for a new job or starting to grow up and act responsible etc. :oops:

As it says elsewhere on the thread MrWs posts really touch a nerve :D My rekindled interest in all things retro which eventually led to me setting this whole place up coincided with a particularly dull period at my old job. I should've been job hunting instead I was hunting for anodised parts.

As for denial and justification who cares? You live once so if you enjoy something why the devil not ?

Latest posts

Back