Kona Impact Headset Help

Actually that's a great idea, presumably the bottom of any 1 1/8 headset would be fine if i use its cup and crown race?

Tallpaul":2w11dx9j said:
Actually that's a great idea, presumably the bottom of any 1 1/8 headset would be fine if i use its cup and crown race?

Yup, but I like the FSA Orbit cartridge jobbies because they have a split fork crown race which means you don't need a hammer to install/remove. Excellent if you swap forks around.

I've also found the bearings easy to service and pretty well sealed - The one on the Kona is over 10 years old.

messiah":isjn6qwa said:
Tallpaul":isjn6qwa said:

Yup, but I like the FSA Orbit cartridge jobbies because they have a split fork crown race which means you don't need a hammer to install/remove. Excellent if you swap forks around.

I've also found the bearings easy to service and pretty well sealed - The one on the Kona is over 10 years old.

Like this one?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12426

it would do it it was loose ball/needle bearings - buit as it uses a sealed bearing the proper race is the one that is part of the bearing so the 'crown race' is more of a support - the small split in the crown race and the thickness of the bearing race means they'll be minimal deflection across this gap and hence no real accelerated bearing wear - although i tend to postion it around the back as this is slightly less stressed than the front due to the head angle

(I'm sure i could have said that in less words :LOL: )

Er..I'm sorry but if you're only toying with the idea can I add my voice to the "don't bother" argument? It's original equipment, it's a Joe Murray item and it's on a set of Joe Murray Project 2s (although you might not be able to tell). Why de-retro that ensemble?

Uncle Buck":3a9uthb1 said:
Er..I'm sorry but if you're only toying with the idea can I add my voice to the "don't bother" argument? It's original equipment, it's a Joe Murray item and it's on a set of Joe Murray Project 2s (although you might not be able to tell). Why de-retro that ensemble?

That depends if you use your bike in anger. Impact headsets never lasted a winter for me unless I stripped them every few weeks (and I'd rather ride my bike)... hence why I went down the FSA lower cup route 10 years ago. I've still got the lower half of my gold Control Centre headset which I took off when I discovered how full of crap it got - and before it went terminal. I doubt my Explosif will ever be a garage queen but it's there if I want it - complete with the rubber boot that holds all the mud in :twisted:

If your building a garage queen by all means stick with the impact, but if you plan to use the bike a lot I'd improve the breed - I'm sure it's what Joe Murray would have done :LOL:

Back