Turner Twin Burner, 1997

Nick 32sixteen

Dirt Disciple
Something that is unique.

A Turner tandem based on a Burner V-2 with a DH rocker, built for Interbike 1997.

In the middle, towing a BOB trailer at Spring Polaris, 2000, in the Peak District*.

It was fitted with Velocity Aeroheat Deep V rims at this point because it kept putting flat spots into DH rims. These lasted really well, but the orange rims in all the other shots are tubeless. And yes, that is a suspension seatpost for added stoker cush.

One by Matt 2.4

And finally, on the chairlift at Fort William, ready to do the 2001 DH course:

All images should be clicky to flickr pages.

As displayed at Interbike 1997 it had Mr Dirt upside down forks, Magura HS11 brakes, Hugi rear wheel with DH rims, Titanium BBs.

It destroyed the rear wheel (flatted the rim, chewed the hub body to pieces) and the Magura HS-11s were pants - you could sinter the pads on a good descent.

It was refitted with early model Boxxers, which meant that we could fit Hope C2 calipers and big discs on Bulb hubs. The rear hub always runs a BOB trailer compatible skewer.

The BB spindles got bent hitting a log at a NEMBA downhill at Richmond, N.Yorks. It now runs sensible BBs. Spot singlespeed rings handle the timing chain.

The Alps 4R has chewed itself up internally and it now runs a Fox RP3.

Even if I still had the parts to rebuild it to show spec I wouldn't because it's more usable this way.

* no lusting after the Fat Chance

Oh my god, I remember you guys from the NEMBA races (showing my age here, I'm old, get used to it!) do you realise how much respect you had from all the racing fraternity for racing on that bike. It was amazing to see you guys whizz down the hillsides with aplomb!

LeeDevelopment":2f55jr9a said:
Oh my god, I remember you guys from the NEMBA races (showing my age here, I'm old, get used to it!) do you realise how much respect you had from all the racing fraternity for racing on that bike. It was amazing to see you guys whizz down the hillsides with aplomb!

Sheffield 1997 in Wharncliffe woods gave it away. There were two tandems, us and Guy Kesteven on his Collela. The race organisers set us off as the first two bikes fo the day and we could hear exactly how far behind the other tandem was by the cheering that was reaching us coming down the hill.

Here's the Collela being ridden XC at Eston. Uncle Peter as captain, Uncle Nick as stoker.

And there's air under those wheels.

Oh bless, the memories, that must be the downslope of the wee drop off (by today's standards anyway) near the finish!

One-Off

lewis1641":2981d5rb said:
is that a 1 off then? awesome tandem

The Turner is.

Louis Colella built a few of his version.

I've just found the CV of Guys stoker that day - Lee Owen Stanford, where he lists it as one of his memorable results.

LeeDevelopment":2981d5rb said:
Oh bless, the memories, that must be the downslope of the wee drop off (by today's standards anyway) near the finish!

Bang on location wise.

Red Hot Flying Polyps

LeeDevelopment":n17rjxpx said:
Just wondering....did 'uncle Peter' go on to ride for The Red Hot Flying Polyps?

So far as I know Pete always rode for the Red Hot Flying Polyps. Usually on a GT tandem which he'd had modded to take 26" wheels, or a very early Turner Burner (a silver 1994 V1).

Back