Has anyone seen a 1990+/- Raleigh Grand Prix? Aluminum ?

FemtoMetre

Dirt Disciple
Ok, probably one of the most seen 10 speeds in the world ever in the history of mankind is the Raleigh Grand Prix, vintage '70s and before.

I came across a bloke selling a 1990+/- vintage Grand Prix which is relatively recent since from what I understand, some Grand Prixs were made with Rod Brakes pushing it back to even the 1950s or before.

I'm thinking this is probably a bit like a Technium (I may be wrong), the bicycle sits some KMs from me though I could go if I thought it merited it to see it.

raleighlabel.jpg

It has this 6068-T8 aluminum type of tubing. It must look like a Technium. I am in the USA, it may be a Raleigh USA bike or maybe it is made in the Far East. To me, it sounds sort of appealing. It is a blue bicycle. He sent me pictures but they are a bit poor. It has 7 speeds and I believe is outfitted in Suntour Radius! I didn't care to push him too much on the issue. A number of paint chips on the chain and seat stays but otherwise, seems to be in good condition. I mention the paint chips because there were a number in the back area. I don't know how aluminum tubing holds up over a long period of time and if this is potentially a "red flag."

We all have seen vintage Raleigh Grand Prixs, blue, red and even green (yellow too maybe??) and men's and I think mixte frames at that. I wonder what this one, 1990ish looks like. I've searched up and down and haven't been able to find a photograph of one so recent except some product lines from the 2000s. I'd think it's a good bike. I am not sure it is worth getting another steed with my limited space and the price makes it no giveaway either.

Thank you for your responses.

That would be 'world' in the sense of the Baseball World Series?

The Grand Prix is a Raleigh USA model so only seen in the US :cool:

The European equivalent of a long-standing model would be the Record Ace.

Without knowing much about this specific model - aluminium is fine probably upto 15-20 years if it's not been smashed bashed and abused. The Techniums were bonded, I'm guessing this is welded. Check around tube joints for cracks or wrinkly paint, look down the sides of the bike to see if it's straight (measure rear dropout to front dropout on each side with the bars straight ahead - the measurements should match!) and feel under the top tube just behind the head tube for lumps and bumps. And make sure it fits you - the wrong sized bike will never make you smile.

Yes, thanks for the tips:

and feel under the top tube just behind the head tube for lumps and bumps. And make sure it fits you - the wrong sized bike will never make you smile.

I actually came across what I thought was a real nice bike, it was being abandoned by the owner and I took it. It really was nice, a sky blue framed bike but in the midday sun, I wasn't sure if it might be Celeste Blue, oh well. Since I thought maybe it was a Bianchi, I asked the people, can I take this? Yes.

It was a Japanese "Star" bicycle. It had a Shimano Crane derailleur which I've been told is the predecessor to their successful Ultegra line and one I still keep with me to put on the right set of wheels.

To keep my story short, I rode it many miles, I never wrecked it but a mechanic showed me a bump, the bottom of the down tube where it comes out from the headtube, that is easy for visulalization of how ramming something or a wreck could have gotten this metal frame that bump.

It was a great bike and the mechanic was a bit of a snooty modern bicycle mechanic but in good faith, I could not ride that anymore, as my main frame and I took the parts and disgarded it.

So, with that bump where I described it, on the downtube coming out of the headtube, about an inch down, right around the lug, You would probably agree that that was not a safe bicycle as well.

Nifty bike and I'd had the experience to see a few others around to know this was not the rarest of creature so I was able to part with it.

Back