Dyna Tech diablo front end questions

mukkjoy

Retro Newbie
hello all from a newbie. i'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction with what to do with the front end of my diablo rs.

i've owned my diablo rs from new and kept in very good nick cosidering it's years BUT to be truthful i've never loved the MAG 30's fitted to the front end. due to there years i find they don't hold air for very long and actually getting the air in with the syringe almost impossible at times.
so after discovering this forum i would love to change the forks for a better performer from the same era and hopefully no need to pump up every time i want to pop out.

the good bit is i don't have a clue how to check the size of the current fork to get the info for finding new ones.

one final question, does any one now if the original stem is any good or would it be worth changing this at the same time for a better stem from the same era (of course)

thanks all who read.

i'll try to post a picture of the bike if any one is interested

The important measurements are the amount of travel the fork has and the height of the bottom of the head tube when the fork has sagged to absorb your weight.

If you get a longer or higher fork the bike will get vague and sloppy, if you get a lower or shorter fork (unlikely as travel has got longer over time) then it'll get quicker and more twitchy.

The stem is fine - it matches the frame.

Keep an eye on e-bay, the classifieds for some good condition Mag20s/21s. Same era, same geomety. Sorted.

thanks terryhfs and russell for the advice.

the diameter of the tube, is it just a case of getting a tape and measuring it?

Mag 20/ 21's are they any better?

ok i've got the tape out and yes it's was that simple so all i need to do is find some 21's.

so if you have some lurking i'm interested.

question......how much should i pay what should i look out for?

thanks for reading

Hi there,

Just seen your post, I have a Diablo RS (pics posted on this site) and I had to replace my Mag 30 forks as the crown had cracked and was dangerous.

The forks first set of forks I could get were Quadras as I needed a 195mm 1/8 threaded steerer (rare). They are not as good as the Mag 30s but do the job. I wanted to buy Mag 21s but never found any with my steerer length. Try to stick to air/oil as these elastomer's are nowhere near as good.

Post some pics of your bike as I have never seen another Diablo RS other than in the catalogue.

Best regards

Clifford

Hi again,

Forgot to say the orignal stem is solid, well made but a bit heavy 400g+ I think). The stem is steel and the wedge is cast iron!

I replaced mine with alloy effort saving 120g.

Clifford

Clifford, really pleased you got in touch (i was beginning to think i was the only diablo rs out there).

i've read through some of your posts and see you had worse problems than me. after talking about your quadras not being as good as your old and the angle being different i'm a little worried about changing them now unless i do come across some 21's.

just to be cheeky what condition were the legs on your 30's and do you still have them as i would be interested.

i'll take some shot's of the bike this weekend and sort out some kind of spec, it's pretty stock apart from seat post, handle bars, bar ends and grips which are all from the era........oh and i painted the forks silver years ago due to scratching.

cheers again

Back