92 Kona Cinder Cone Rebuild - Advice Needed Please!

Semolinaulike

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I'm trying to get a lovely red Kona Conder Cone back on the trail. Can anyone help me as I need to fit a new bottom bracket and I can't work out what size the replacement should be? On the original Kona catalogue it says the standard BB is a Tange model but I don't suppose that helps much... Also what tools do I need to remove the current BB, would the usual shimano toothed cog thing work? Also - I'd love to know my seatpost diameter please, do any of you esteemed retro bikers have the same model and are able to help please?! Any help very gratefully received and will contribute to the revival of this lovely steed...
Thanks, Paul

bottom bracket

I have recently replaced the bb on my '98 cindercone. I used a Shimano UN54 with a 68mm shell. Axle length depends on cranks you have. I used 113mm. EDITED*

I used a shimano bb tool and it worked fine.

Hope this helps

cindercone

My cindercone has either 122.5 or 127.5 bb (suntour xc ltd c/set) if I remember correctly and a 26.4 post.

I don't know how you remove a Tange Greasealer bb I'm afraid. If you don't get lucky here, I advise you to start a thread about it in the main forum - someone will know.

The axle length you need will be dependent on the cranks you're going to use, not on the frame.

Thanks guys that's great, it sounds like I need a 26.4 seatpost, i should be able to remove the bb with the usual shimano sprocket took thing, and i need to replace it with a square tapered sealed unit that has a standard diameter but the axle length is the only variable so i can measure the old one once I've removed it - is all that correct?! I'm putting some '95 xtr cranks on so they must be fairly standard. Here's a pic as requested, not many standard parts left unfortunately, and quite a bit of work. Will be worth it though... Thanks everyone.

What M number are the XTR cranks you're using? Later XTR cranks required an XTR bb, but I'm not sure if that started as early as 95.

Pic didn't come through. Is it bigger than the file size limit maybe?

I posted some info in the other thread where you asked about bb specs.
If you intend to use cranks circa 95 then I'm pretty sure you'll need a 68mm bb with 113mm axle length. Not sure about xtr being differentaround 1995 though as I was bikeless around then and not following changes.

cc

Right guys it seems you really do know what you're talking about, I've measured everything up and it's a 68mm shell and the spindle seems to be 122.5 wide. My XTR cranks are fc-m900 and they seem to fit on fine so I'll just get a new BB with the same specs but as a sealed unit ie cartridge type. the Tange BB was easy enough to remove using unorthodox methods... has a lockring which I tapped off using chisel and hammer and then one side has little holes that long-nosed pliers fitted into and got a large spanner onto the other side.
I've just bought a 92 kilauea also so i think I'll keep the Cinder Cone as an MTB and turning the Kilauea into a rapid commmuting bike with slicks! Will keep you posted, see photo below... thanks everyone.

Attachments

• KonaCC.JPG
    KonaCC.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,080
A minor thing but although the xtr cranks may fit (because the axle has the same taper) that doesn't mean they were designed to be used with a 122.5mm axle. They were probably designed for 113mm as you said they were circa 1995. I doubt this will cause you many hassles (i.e. should work ok) but it could mean that your chaineline is a little bit out, which could make settings the gears up less easy than it could be. I guess those un54s are so cheap though that you can try 122.5 and if there are any significant problems get a 113.

Back