Charity Sale Overburys Pioneer- The rebuild thread

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
So here it is- that Pioneer. Over the next few weeks, months, year I will be undertaking what has to be my toughest restoration to date.

Firstly a big thankyou for Gadgetuk's amazing jesture of auctioning this bike in aid of the Childrens cancer and Lukemia charity CLIC.
See the Sale thread here...
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My plan is to attempt to restore all the original componants rather than replacing. Obviously it will need new tyres, bearing races and cables etc and the rear mech needs replacing with a period correct item but I hope to reuse all the hardware. I'm probably making a rod for my own back but as its so original and a one owner bike I feel that this is the way it should be.

I'm hoping to have it here by the weekend when a detailed inspection will take place and the whole lot will be dipped in penetrating oil to aid strip down. I'll take plenty of pics before breaking it down into its component form.

Let the pleasure and pain begin :D

I've stolen Gadgetuk's pics which i hope he doesn't mind me doing.

P5291574.jpg

P5291585.jpg

P5291562.jpg

P5291563.jpg

P5291561.jpg

P5291584.jpg

P5291564.jpg

P5291566.jpg

P5291568.jpg

P5291569.jpg

P5291570.jpg

P5291571.jpg

P5291572.jpg

P5291573.jpg

P5291575.jpg

P5291576.jpg

P5291578.jpg

P5291579.jpg

P5291580.jpg

P5291581.jpg

Nice one Si.

look forward to seeing your normal 'proper job' done on this. Also interested to see how straight the frame actually is...

Wow. Lovely bike but like you say, a lot of work needed. Can't wait to see how this moves along.

Good luck!

John":2avz2jen said:
Nice one Si.

look forward to seeing your normal 'proper job' done on this. Also interested to see how straight the frame actually is...

I'm pretty confident that the frame is OK- the forks on the other hand :?

I have some pretty nifty CAD software that I use for replicating sections of vintage car chassis etc. I have found pics on here of similar sized Pioneer's and attached tags to various points of the frame and then taken the data and overlaid them onto pics of this particular frame- it's come up spot on. Problem is that I suspect that as with all hand built frames- none are identical. But the data suggests that all the angles are consistant and the tubes are still straight.
Its a pretty useful bit of kit that gives us the ability to make something that no longer exists- did't think i'd be using it on old bikes though!

this will be great - how long do you estimate for the job?

I dunno really, depends on work load, but should be out on the trails again this year.

Si

Dr S, My hat goes off to you sir... And all for charity, lets hope all works out and you raise alot of money at the auction... :D

WELL DONE THAT MAN...

Dr S":1f0k7xg8 said:
Firstly a big thankyou for Gadgetuk's amazing jesture
Aww shucks... at least it's going to safer hands than mine!

My plan is to attempt to restore all the original componants rather than replacing.
Ah.... urm...
Did you notice I had cannibalised the pedal cages?
P6251654.jpg

They were the original Shimano ones.
I nicked 'em for a little project, fitting toeclips to one side of my SPDs (for use with normal-human shoes).
You can have them back, but I have ground off the grippy spikes offa one side. I'm sure I can find another seat of pedals to mangle.

I'll throw in the original MTN rack too, it won't fit 700c wheels... that is, if you want it. Come to think of it, you don't want a pair of 26" alloy wheels rescued from an old Scott frame do you?

For reference it came originally with Specialized S 1.75" tyres, which just missed the chainstay. I later changed to Farmer Johns/FJs cousin.

Oh, and you'll have to prise that original Brooks Mountain saddle from my cold, dead hands. It's mine... MINE, I tell you!
IMAG0094.jpg

Don't worry about the pedal cages, I have got spares somewhere. I will take the MTN rack though- i think this will make a great touring bike, something I plan to do next year (until then it will be a healthier way of collecting the Friday night pizza).

cheers
Si

Back