First Old World MTB Champs - Holland 4th/5th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Edwards struggling down Ventoux on foot as I type, here's an OW update...

Interest from Poland is developing... didn't imagine they'd have a retro MTB scene!

Race numberplates are printed up - bound to be treasured items for sure!

Howies are printing the T shirts next week - then I'm off to Cardigan to pick them up and get the prize booty.

Bought the barrier tape for the XC track today - £7 per roll, sheesh!

Mr K

right then, i'm booked in for the event but i haven't done anything about getting there yet!! i'm stuffed with constant work till i leave for this aswel and i need some advice on the best way to get there as time is running short!

all the route planners suggest going via dover (i am in southampton) but i see some of you are going by harwich, what is best?

so any advice on the route would be awsome

Dover -Calais will almost certainly be cheaper ferrywise but you then have 300 miles to drive to the event. Petrol is a bit cheaper in France than Holland though.

Harwich to the Hook of Holland delivers you much nearer to the event but the current price for a crossing is around £200 and if you go overnight according to the Stena website you have to book accomodation on the boat as well. My Dutch friends always go this way and say it's much the best.

From an earlier post on this thread Sidewinder was looking for someone to share transport with.

calais is a long way , too long for me in fact .

I cant get friday off work , which rules me out . :cry:

Sidewinder":1ro2ypoi said:
dover dunkirque is another thought ? £85 crossing but 200 extra miles.

Hadn't thought of that one - 200 miles is not so bad - I guess about 3 1/2 -4 hours driving.

Is Stena the only line that does Harwich to the Hook?

We shall be travelling through France, as I've said, but will be doing a long drive back to Calais afterwards on the Monday.

Having been over a few times now via Harwich, I can vouch that the crossing (though a tad expensive) is worth the money - great ferry, good fried breakfast, good night's sleep, simple journey on (either to Bergen or Amsterdam - 50mins) - there's even a port side bar in Harwich to access some Dutch courage!

Can't see that it's worth slogging it out via other routes to save £40-50 when you can arrive fresh and in good spirits... it's the weekend of a life time, after all!

Mr K

hey mr k,

i was thinking the same, pay more for the ferry but reduce the driving, i know the extra cost on the ferry won't be offset by the reduced petrol but i'm thinking it would be worth it to be less tired. i don't mind the longer drive but the way i see it is i haven't driven there before so less driving would be better.

just to confirm, it is harwich to hook? and what ferry time are you guys getting? and what time do we need to be in amsterdam?

cheers :D

messiah":4ee9ghg6 said:
I was speaking to a Dutch guy at Glentress last Friday and he is going to be going to this event.
He has 60 different brands of MTB in his celler and over 260 bikes at the last count... he plans to open a museum in a few years.

Wonder which he will take :roll:

His next stop after Glentress was Edradour for a distillery tour... hmm bikes and Whisky :cool:

Small world!! Messiah, you spoke to Jeroen, a friend of me and fellow forummember Roy/yo-eddy and probably a few more other people on here. He told me the story he encountered an enthousiast in UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back