Roberts/Whitcomb/Mottram/Raleigh/Cougar

makhno68

Dirt Disciple
I like the design of the new forums, so I thought I would share some pictures of my bikes.

img0633b.jpg

Sid Mottram built, Tange Aero tubing, putting it around 1981-83 probably, Shimano 600AX/Dura-Ace AX group mostly, SR cranks, Mavic 501 hubs on Wolber Profil 20s.

img0638e.jpg

Built by Bill Whitcomb of Liverpool, who is rather elusive on the internet, so it's hard to get info on this bike. Some Shimano 600/Simplex kit, with Campag hubbed sprints, and a pretty rare Assos chainset/bottom bracket/chain rings. (PS I know the seatpost is past the minimum insertion line, I have swapped for a longer post now!)

dsc01097sw3.jpg

Cougar in Reynolds 731OS, with (you guessed it) Shimano 600/105 groupset, Wolber Profil 18s on Super record hubs.

img0636w.jpg

Roberts Pursuit frame 1978, made from Columbus SLX Aero tubing, with a proprietry aero seat post, Campagnolo Record low flange track hubs, a Chorus chainset, Mavic SSC (greys) rims.

img0634fny.jpg

Raleigh Professional Track 1973, Reynolds 531C, original Campag chainset and Dura-Ace low flange track hubs laced on Open Pros.

What a great collection :D

Any better pics of the Raleigh?

Has the cougar been resprayed? Looks mint :cool:

Thanks! Unfortunately the Raleigh hasn't got the original twin plate track forks, and instead there are some Witcomb built forks in there, and it also has a terrible black powder coat. Ideally it would look like this:
http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1973.pdf
If I ever find a pair of appropriate Raleigh track forks, I would definately look to get it restored!
The Cougars paintwork is original, and an incredibly vivid (yet kind of matte) fire engine red. The guy I bought it off used it on a turbo, hence the good condition.

Top collection! - each bike worthy of some more detailed pics...
please!

Nice collection. I was thinking you'd spelled 'Whitcomb' wrong then realised when I read on that it was not the London 'Witcomb'. Must be plenty of confusion between them at times.

The Mottram is very nice, especially with the 'Aero' tubing. Somebody once told me that it only became 'Aero' when the bike was on a car roof rack at over 60mph. All modern TT bikes have similar tubes though.

I recently acquired a Bill Whitcomb bike, as attached, it has a full Shimano 600 SIS groupset so probably dates from around 1986. You're right he's very 'elusive' for a skilled builder.

I found a thread elsewhere that suggested he built a frame for Mark Bell for the 1984 Olympic Team when he was at Cougar.

I've also been advised he was the son-in-law of Eddie Soens and managed his shop - was that Cougar Cycles? I'm a bit confused, I was wondering if you had anymore information about him.

Ken[/img]

Attachments

• Churchill 014.jpg
    Churchill 014.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 5,547
Back