GT LTS-DS Full Refurb

Yep the bike has nosedived Here's the bike with the Z2 Atoms on. Yep 80mm is just not enough. Bike just doesn't look right and if the looks are wrong I've no doubt the ride will be bloody awful. :( The rear chainstay is actually sloping towards the ground!

Bike1.jpg

So I've just sourced a set of Marzocchi Z1 drop off freeride with a massive 5" of travel (5" is massive but I'm talking forks here ;) ). Black with red decals so will look OK. Here's a pic from the Seller

Z130mm.jpg

Done a few other things to the bike, Fitted new headset, NOS Syncros Stem, Flat Bars and controls. I've now decided to fit some Magura's rather than cable brakes. Using Hope hose guides on the top tube, won't look as neat as cable but will be far more capable.

Another pic

Bike2.jpg

The wheels are currently Deep V Velocity's with LX Hubs. These aint staying, I'm going for looks here more than anything so decided on trying something a bit radical and possibly a bit suspect :oops: 26" Mags! :oops:

IMG_5973.jpg

IMG_5975.jpg

Haven't had them yet. Just a poor man's Spins I guess. Apparently they weigh 7lbs a pair, which is pretty heavy but this will be ridden on the flat in the sunshine. I've got other bikes for getting dirty. One of my mates was trying to persuade me to get white ones but I've gone for black as I would have felt as if I should have been riding around playing a harp and wearing a set of wings and a halo.

The seatpost that came with this bike is a bog standard Kalloy with a diameter of 31.2. This size is a real pain to try and source. Bikepedia gives the 1998 spec as having a 31.6 post. I've tried a 31.6 post in the seat tube just to see if the 31.2 was a 'bodge.' Nope it's tight as hell won't go in so I guess 31.2 is the correct size. Had a look on Sheldon Browns site and there's not a single GT bike with this post size. Whats going on here? Any other LTS-DS owners out there who can confirm the post diameter.

Looks like I'm stuck with 31.2 and will have to go down the route of a shim from CRC for 27.2 - 31.2 :(

Bike should be finished by next weekend, will post a few pics when done.

I'm selling a few things from the original bike. Fox Rear Shock, Wheels, etc. They're posted in the 'For Sale' section. PM me if you want anything. The Atoms will be finding a new home on my Zaskar by the way, we live and learn. :)

may i suggest polishing the lowers and crown of the forks . itl match the rear nicely

the wheels are truly awful :LOL:

Here's the bike nearly finished. Just fitted some 130mm Z1's and what a difference! I'm thinking the black front end gives a more balanced look to the bike rather than the red.

The Z1's are in pretty good nick just need a couple of touch-ups and will look A1.

Magura's fitted and bled. All that's left is the gear cables and gearing setup and it's finished.

What do you think? Probably changing the bars to risers when I can source a half decent pair and of course there's the wheels :oops: :oops:

I know it's been mentioned but it looks like a longer spring in the rear shock is needed :?
As for risers on it, I've an Azonic PDW 2" rise riser in silver.

Did you want the Timberline btw?

Oh, wheels, I may be selling a pair of red Hope Bulb hubbed (both bolt-thru at the moment) D521CD's but haven't quite decided yet.

You dont need a longer spring, you need to wind the shock through the trunnion a bit. The trunnion mount hides a separate preload adjuster ring... Its for adjusting the head angle, see.

fingers":nt7zhygi said:
You dont need a longer spring, you need to wind the shock through the trunnion a bit. The trunnion mount hides a separate preload adjuster ring... Its for adjusting the head angle, see.

Forgot about that :oops:

Thanks guys, I know about the shock, haven't set it up yet since fitting. Probably sort that out tomorrow with one of my mates.

Xizang what's the width on those Azonic bars and are they in good nick?

I need to do some more polishing on the rear, need to get some more felt wheels as I'm all out. I also trying to source a RED DMR chain guide pulley for Triple Chainrings. Plenty out there for double or singles but not a lot for triples. Thought it would be a nice finishing touch.

Good looking bike too, nice colour combo

I need a longer fork for my LTS1

cant decide on what tho, and the DH needs building, so maybe wait...

Gadro":32eij4m1 said:
Xizang what's the width on those Azonic bars

685mm possibly 700mm (I'll need to re-measure if needed).

Attachments

• Azonic PDW risers. 2 inch rise. 685mm wide (1).JPG
    Azonic PDW risers. 2 inch rise. 685mm wide (1).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,644
  • Azonic PDW risers. 2 inch rise. 685mm wide (3).JPG
    Azonic PDW risers. 2 inch rise. 685mm wide (3).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,644
  • Azonic PDW risers. 2 inch rise. 685mm wide.JPG
    Azonic PDW risers. 2 inch rise. 685mm wide.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,644

Latest posts

Back