The official BONDED BICYCLE thread !

I think I've seen that carbon Alan before somewhere on the internet, looks great.

Here's mine, for no bonded frame topic would be complete without a Giant Cadex:

r0012475.jpg

cadexcfr2comp.jpg

Also note the fork, which is bonded carbon and aluminium, just like the frame.

Look KG76 Kevlar Hinault, period dura ace, time pedals, and campy semi areo omega strada hardox rims laced to dura ace hubs. dad built it up new around 1990 (when i was born) and has had it ever since. hes a big guy, and never had a problem with the bonding, rides beautifully.

My two bikes

Alan.jpg

Another Alan, mostly Campag Veloce

Look1.jpg

Circa 1990 Look KG66, Campagnolo headset and seatpost

turns out mine was built up in 1991, i realized that i had the seat that my dad put on brand new when he bought it, and Flite's have the date on the nose.

I've got a Dynatech 300 road bike with a Frankenstein assortment of components - Dura Ace transmission, Ultegra brakes, FSA wheels and Sora STI. It's my turbo training and hack bike and the one I lend to MTB owning friends if they fancy doing a bit of road-riding with me. It put up with me cold setting the rear triangle for 8/9/10 without breaking.

My M-Trax MTB (Ti-1000) is built up with 2007 full XT groupset and SIDs. Frame was NOS from a closing-down Raleigh dealer - bought for £30. It's put up with a lot of use, including an unexpected trip down a series of three foot rock steps at Coed Y Brenin.

Pics are on other computer.

I also had a Dynatech 700 new but gave it to a friend. It's now in Sydney with him.

Bonded frames can fail - as I believe can welded aluminium ones. But, but, but - they can be fixed. All is not lost. The glue most companies used is the same stuff used for various bits on light aircraft. The friend who had one fail (drive side rear dropout) took it to the local airfield and an engineering company there re-bonded it. Cost him about £50.

I had a Raleigh Dyna Tech racer once, very fast but I think it may have been a TT bike as geometry was very front centric. Wish i had a picture of it but yellow and white were its colours, very close clearances for tyres, 25mm seemed too fat.

Only bonded frame I've owned or are ever likely too :D

velomaniac":33mbttda said:
I had a Raleigh Dyna Tech racer once, very fast but I think it may have been a TT bike as geometry was very front centric. Wish i had a picture of it but yellow and white were its colours, very close clearances for tyres, 25mm seemed too fat.

Only bonded frame I've owned or are ever likely too :D

Almost a Dyna-tech - my recently finished M-Trax Ti 9000r - see thread in the readers road bike section. It is very quick, I love it!

DSC_0043.jpg

My wife looking at me funny, with all this drool dripping from my chin.
Bit ratty and tatty but much loved and owned from new since '90/91, my Raleigh Mission......

Attachments

• DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 6,939
My Peugeot Teamline 1500 from 1997:
tumblr_kq6pooEVUK1qz7vglo1_500.jpg

Head tube detail, showing the bonding seams (and Evans Wandsworth sticker):
tumblr_kq6prcNOWl1qz7vglo1_500.jpg

Close-up of the top tube/seat tube junction, showing the mildly innovative recessed seat post binder bolt:
tumblr_kq6q1l9fwi1qz7vglo1_500.jpg

It's not too clear in the photos, but the main tubes are carbon weave visible through the topcoat, fading to metallic purple over the carbon lugs. Apparently the lugs aren't the pretty form of carbon, so they're wouldn't look so great next to the woven finish. Like quite a few mid-90s era bikes, this one suffered from being over-stickered. I've been tempted to get it resprayed white and fit a set of the original black-on-white peugeot race decals on it as a nod to its heritage. I guess that'd be sacrilege on this forum :) The fork's bonded aluminium too, completing the theme.

It was great to find this post on retrobike with scans of the 1998 Teamline brochure. The paint jobs are new, but you can see the frame didn't change:
(left side | right side)

It's all pretty much original, other than the bar tape and rear rim and it still rides nicely today. It replaced another bonded road bike - a 1991 vintage Trek 1400 which looked like this one. The bottom bracket on that was like a plate of wet spaghetti - I wasn't that big when I owned it, but when I was sprinting out of the saddle the side-to-side motion was alarming.

Sadly the Peugeot's going up for sale as my garage now contains one too many bikes, according to you-know-who. I can't quite bring myself to eBay it - the prospect of it going for £50 is too painful to bear. I'm chucking an ad up in Road For Sale in case anyone's interested.

Back