Which Coyote is this....please help

thewallboy

Retro Newbie
Hello, First post and all that.

Please see pic attached. Can any one help me identify this frame.

I am thinking of embarking on my first build and have no idea in terms of spec of parts I will need. Do any of you kind gentlemen have this information?

Thanks

Wall

Attachments

• Coyote Ultralite Easton.jpg
    Coyote Ultralite Easton.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 7,009
I guess it's a Coyote Ultralite. Early/mid 90s. Before the square chsinstay HT3/4/5 range. I guess it'd be a HT 1 or 2.

I seem to remember they were pretty light and got good reviews. THey were also available in some ncie anodised colours.

It's the cheaper of the two Coyote frames (HT2 iIrc). The more expensive one (HT1) had a CNCd chainstay bridge ala Manitou (but not quite as nice).

There was the Coyote HT-3 made of Easton Elite tubing in the late 90s. It retailed at about £350, was mostly yellow with black head tube. Ultralite tubing was slightly better than Elite and, if I recall, they went from 1-5 with the HT-5 being very popular selling for around £200. It was black & silver.
I think the circa '98 HT-1 was dark red with orange.

Thanks for all the replies. I think HT1/2 seems to be the go.

Am having it resprayed and will update progress of the build as and when.

Thanks again.

Wall

I think it's called a Coyote Ultralite! I don't think it's necessarily made of Easton Ultralite, as I think it pre-dates the introduction of Easton Ultralite. I think it's more likely to be Elite, but almost certainly made of a high-quality tubeset.

I would date it around 96 or 97 and I think it pre-dates the HT1 and HT2. As far as I'm aware Coyotes were always or almost always sold as frames, so you needn't worry about the spec, other than maybe the right kind of dates might be nice and I would guess it was designed for a 60-70mm travel fork.

I have a 1998 MBR here with a test of a full-suspension Coyote and it had been built for them by John of J.D.'s Bicycle Workshop of 42a Nelson Road, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, LS29 8HN Tel: 01943 816101 It says they sold quite a few Coyotes and they're still there, so it might be worth phoning them and asking if they might recognise a photo if you emailed them one.

A personal opinion is that you would be crazy to repaint it.

Back