Chrome paint!

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
I know it's unlikely but does anyone know of a paint that to some extent replicates chrome? My pre war Dawes had chromed forks and Resilion cantis, both of which have lost the plating except where they touched. Replating is not an option due to price and whilst some satin black paint would match the frame, it would be nice to try and retain some of the original look.

There have been many "chrome" paints around and they none of them have been any good at all. I suppose they're quite convincing if they're nowhere near real chrome, but if they're anywhere near real chrome they look terrible.

you could get chrome look sticky tape. Retains its finish, and not bad from a distance, but well, its tape.

i have a friend who refurbs alloy wheels and he tells me you can now buy a chrome paint with 95% reflectivity.

it is supposed to be very good indeed.

Rob Hayles was riding a chrome carbon bike when he was riding for Parker International in 2006. It looked quite good, but can't find any pics :(

There is a sort of plating that can be applied to plastic, they use it a lot on kids toys. I've no idea how it works. It's not so hard wearing as chrome, but looks like chrome. I suspect that's what the carbon bike was finished with.

mattsccm":74oazzjv said:
I know it's unlikely but does anyone know of a paint that to some extent replicates chrome? My pre war Dawes had chromed forks and Resilion cantis, both of which have lost the plating except where they touched. Replating is not an option due to price and whilst some satin black paint would match the frame, it would be nice to try and retain some of the original look.

errrrrrrr

In 1997 BMW launched the BMW Z3 M Roadster (I had the very first one in the UK) a totally BONKERS motor!

Anyway the wheels of this car were painted with Chrome-effect paint - after a few years a couple of wheel refurb companies started to stock and use this paint - so I suggest that you ring round some of these refurbishers - you may strike lucky!!!

khushy

Back