Ebay: 1963 Merlin beautifully rennovated - finishes 4pm Sat

joe1983

Retro Guru
So here is my Merlin up for sale. This was originally built in 1963 by Bob Jackson of Leeds for one John Lote, and has been restored by myself using period components (give or take a few years) to a very high standard. Wherever possible NOS or NOS condition parts have been used. This bike has never been ridden since the renovation.

Frame sizing:
Seattube: 55cm c-c 56.5 c-t
Toptube: 56.5 c-c

The frame is made from Reynolds 531 butted tubes, forks and stays. The dropouts are Campagnolo. The frame has been completely restored and resprayed by Bob Jackson using original Merlin decals and I have a copy of the original workcard for the frame.

Components:

Rear Mech: Campagnolo Nuovo Record, date stamped 1970, used but in perfect condition

Freewheel: Regina 5 speed block, perfect condition

Front Mech: Early 1960's Campagnolo Record, perfect condition

Shifters: Campagnolo (Record I think), friction, perfect condition

Chainset: Campagnolo Gran Sport, rare 3 arm, perfect condition, Campagnolo rings

Pedals: 1960s Campagnolo Record, perfect condition, with Christophe clips and New Brooks Honey straps

Wheels: Campagnolo Record hubs, laced to AVA tub rims. 700c, excellent condition

Tyres: New Vitoria Competition tubs

Headset: Campagnolo Record, perfect condition

Brakes: Weinman levers, Weinmann type 500 front caliper, type 750 centre pull rear, very good condition. Hoods show some minor cracking but are still pliable.

Stem: unknown maker, chromed steel exellent condition

Bars: GB Maes,very good condition

Saddle: New Brooks B17 Champion Special in Honey with Copper rails and large rivet. Comes with box, seat cover and spanner.

Seatpost: Zeus fluted, excellent condition, some zig zag marks under insertion point.
Tape, plugs: NOS Velox

Seatclamp: Campagnolo, perfect condition

Skewers: Campagnolo, perfect condition

Cables: New Jagwire

Cable clips: NOS Campagnolo

Apologies about the massive post but I couldn't get the pics to attatch.

Please note: I have ordered a cable hanger for the rear brake and the Brooks honey straps - these should be with me and fitted in the next couple of days.

DSC00928.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

DSC00930.jpg

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

(NB the little water droplets are due to a sudden shower moving the photo session indoors!)

I originally bought this for myself as my first road bike and began the rennovation, only to later realise it was too small for me. I have completed the build in the way I think the bike deserves rather than chucking a load of random parts on when I realised it didn't fit!

If anyone is seriously interested, has questions, need other pics etc. get in touch via pm or email me at joebath1983 AT hotmail DOT co.uk and we can discuss the details.

Joe[/img]

What a beautiful bike, excellent work.

I'd love to have it but I don't think I'd ever ride something so wonderful. It'd end up on a wall somewhere.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back