Finally, STX 1" head set

Re: stx

mtnwing":u8wr8lhc said:
dude - STX??? that's like saying "I like those crayons that aren't crayola brand . . ." Your parent's should have raised you to reach for a little more.

It was a solid groupset in its day with most of the function of the high end ones; realistically, not everyone wants or needs to spend thousands of pounds on M900 XTR.

Very nice, I had a couple of bikes with full STX and STX-SE groupsets BITD. It was functional, classy looking gear for its price. Only gripe I had was all 3 STX/STX-SE cranks I've owned cracked at the spider.

We've got a 1-1/8" version of that headset in stock at work, haha.

mtnwing":iidb1w6u said:
dude - STX??? that's like saying "I like those crayons that aren't crayola brand . . ." Your parent's should have raised you to reach for a little more.
What and be an XTR sheep. Individuality mate ever herd of it, ho! sorry herd thats cows isn't it or maybe your just talking bullocks :LOL:

shogun":3qwpp0c1 said:
mtnwing":3qwpp0c1 said:

It was a solid groupset in its day with most of the function of the high end ones; realistically, not everyone wants or needs to spend thousands of pounds on M900 XTR.

Very nice, I had a couple of bikes with full STX and STX-SE groupsets BITD. It was functional, classy looking gear for its price. Only gripe I had was all 3 STX/STX-SE cranks I've owned cracked at the spider.

We've got a 1-1/8" version of that headset in stock at work, haha.

They were the top of the recreation offerings from shimano, above alivio and all the other stuff underneath that. I found the finish to rub/wear away sooner than expected, and it really wasn't meant to stand up to abuse, but it usually did. stx/stx se was later replaced by the stx rc which attempted to bridge the gap more between the recreation and sport lines.

I've got a tandem with STX SE hubs...15 years and going strong. Paint them a different colour, add pretty stickers and a sprinkle of MARKETING and hey, presto....

..XT! :D

Most of the hubs etc are functionally the same, often the only difference is the exterior finish.

Indeed, I liked the groups and thinking of building a nice bike with STX RC of with the M560 LX group. I like that black group.

'I would rather eat worms than have STX on my bike'-Heard BITD by anonymous shop owner after being told the cassette ratio he wanted was available only from said grouppo!

Excuse me to barge in like that, after two and a half years, but I am kind of new to this forum and I read random stuff on it.

The STX and STX-RC groupsets weren't so hyped as XTR or XT but their quality was more than decent. I say this having had quite a few bikes in the last 17 years since I took up mountainbiking and I've also owned a fair bit of those components. For chrissakes, I still have a 1994 STX Special Edition hub in the basement that is still running flawless and has been used a lot. At some point I also learned that the 7-speed STX casette with its nicely cut cogs was the lightest of Shimano's entire program. Awesome quality as well. As far as I know from reading various Shimano catalogs the difference between groupsets are mostly of finish, so mere cosmetic, and less about materials.

And shop owners are once too often ignorant and snobbish douches that would only bolt the most expensive part to their bike only because it's the most expensive and they can afford it due to the wholesale price.

Happy trails and don't believe the hype!
Mx

Back