Giant Escaper 1988 (saved from skip)

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Frame, forks, front mech, headset, and cracked MT60 chainset (replaced) found in a skip on Ben and Emus's Road and donated to me.

Frame: Giant Escaper 1988ish

Fork: Giant Escaper CroMo

Headset: Shimano 105 1inch threaded 27.0mm crown race
Stem: Tioga T bone Tange Prestige
Handlebar: 3TTT Extreme
Grips: Sponge black
Barends: None

Brakes: Front Shimano MT-60 Cantis Rear Shimano MT-60 U-brake
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables:
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano straddle hangers
Brake Levers: Shimano m-730 four finger

Shifters: Shimano MT-60 six speed thumb shifters
Front Derailleur: Shimano MT-60
Rear Derailleur: Shimano MT 60
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: Shimano HG70 7 speed
Chain: Sram
Cranks: Shimano MT-60 175
Crank Bolts: Silver Aluminium
Chainrings: Shimano DX
Chainring bolts: Silver aluminium
Bottom Bracket: Shimano HG 70
Pedals: Onza H.O.

Hub Skewers: Titanium Allen head bolts
Rims: Araya RM20
Hubs: Front, Shimano MT-60 Rear, Shimano DX 7 speed
Nipples: Silver aluminium
Spokes: DT Swiss butted
Tyres: IRC Mythos 1.9, worn out for full on off road but good for road/trail
Tubes: Rubber ones

Saddle: Selle Italia Titanium Flite 1993
Seatpost: Silver Kalloy style 26.4
Seatpost Binder: Odyssey Svelte Titanium
Weight:

Bits Removed
P7250012.jpg

P5240069.jpg

P5240070.jpg

P5240072.jpg

P5240076.jpg

P5240079.jpg

P5240078.jpg

P5240075.jpg

P5240071.jpg

P5240074.jpg

P5240073.jpg
[/b]

That's a great build - tidy but not so precious for you to worry about it when taking it out for a thrash.

C2C in two days with camping gear is a tough ride. I'd B&B it to save weight and make things easier.

hamster":10luutjr said:
That's a great build - tidy but not so precious for you to worry about it when taking it out for a thrash.

C2C in two days with camping gear is a tough ride. I'd B&B it to save weight and make things easier.

The challenge begins to dilute. The intention is there and back in 3 days!

If we are within 20 miles of the East coast by the first night, then we're happy. 140 miles in 1 day is tough but at a slow 10 miles an hour, not unachieveable.

However, I don't doubt I'll hurt. Tyre choice is proving the most difficult decision to make.

What bikes shall we use for Lands end to John O'Groats?...

Are you doing the Old Coach Road to Penrith? That's the worst bit, can be very rocky and broken.
Once you get past Stanhope it's easy and long smooth runs on the railway trails.

Even so, 140 miles with touring gear on tracks is a big distance. :shock:
I would reckon it as 17-18 hours riding.

hamster":3js1uyvl said:
Even so, 140 miles with touring gear on tracks is a big distance. :shock:
I would reckon it as 17-18 hours riding.

I'd second that after doing the south west coast to coast a couple of weekends ago – 110 miles took us 14.5 hrs according to the GPS, Friday lunch time through to sunday lunchtime with 2 nights under canvas and all the gear in panniers – admittedly we were taking it easy and trying to stop at as many pubs as possible, but even so it was quite a while in the saddle and my arse hurt.

Go for it guys C2C retro-style is great – nothing like the sense of satisfaction knowing you did it without the aid of suspension and a million different gears :D

Enjoy (and take lots of pics,something we didn't do enough of)

Are you doing the Old Coach Road to Penrith? That's the worst bit, can be very rocky and broken.
Once you get past Stanhope it's easy and long smooth runs on the railway trails.

We decided to give this section a miss, mainly from advice from people who have done it before and the fact that it is so different to the rest of the ride, it would also effect tyre choice etc and is an ideal section for something to go wrong so early in the route. We can always have a stab at that section when we are up in the Lakes one day in the future just to check it out.

with regards to time scales we will only know when we are doing it as there are so many variables. If the weather is poor for the whole journey we will loose a lot of time indeed, which is why we have everything we need with us because you cant plan for when you are too tired to go on and you need to set up camp etc.

Tyre choice

Tyre wise, I would go for something narrow and tough, Continental cross country 1.5' roll very well are light and pretty pucture proof, Latex tubes will improve puncture proofing and drop some weight too. Panaracer Fire XC 1.8's would be another choice.

Back