1990 Explosif - now with added Pictures (TM)!

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Well, as of tomorrow morning, the Explosif will be up and running - especially thanks to Hilts (who I got the frame and some parts from), Jez (rear mech, brake cable guide), kona kid (cable guide as well), burkeredh (brake levers), ededwards (cantis), my friend Phil (parts robbed from his AA), STW bloke (1" threaded P2s), and to my Yo (donated wheels and other parts)!

Anyway, you'll have to wait til it's cabled up tomorrow for pics, but until then, here's the spec:

Frame - Kona Explosif 18" 1990
Fork - 1" threaded Project Two
Headset - Tange Passage low stack
Stem - Cannondale 285
Handlebar - Titec
Grips - ODI Attack
Brakes - Deore LX M563 cantis
Cantilever cable hangers - Avid TriDangle (possibly copies!)
Brake Levers - Dia-Compe SS7
Shifters - Deore thumbshifters
Front Derailleur - Deore LX M563
Rear Derailleur - Deore DX shortcage w/purple jockey wheel
Cassette - HG70 12-28
Chain - Sram PC58
Cranks - Deore DX 175mm
Chainrings - Specialized 46T/36T, Onza BuzzSaw 24T
Bottom Bracket - Shimano UN53
Pedals - Shimano PD-M520
Quick Releases - Mavic
Rims - Mavic M231CD front, Ritchey Vantage Sport rear
Hubs - Bullseye 36H front, Deore XT M730 rear
Tyres - Tioga Psycho K/TT
Saddle - Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost - Unknown, possiby Kona

This is actually the first bike I've ever collected the parts for and built up myself! :LOL:

And here's the pics...!

Explosif_side.jpg

Explosif_front.jpg

Explosif_rear.jpg

Hope you like!

Stunner!
Is that the original paint & decals or a very good refurb?
Beauty either way. :cool:

Cheers... :oops:

You'd have to ask adamgent about the paint as he owned it before Hilts - though I think all the '90 models were splatter, so I reckon it's a re-paint with new graphics... EDIT: just seen a '90 Lava Dome on the 'bay in plain white, so maybe the paint is original...

It's not in bad nick though!

Cheers guys - she was only meant to be my daily hack! Oooops... <whistles nonchalantly>

After a good thrash today, the indexing has gone south (gotta love bedding in cables), the wheels need attention from a spoke key, the brakes need setting up properly, and the stem is about 0.5deg off-centre (never build in a poorly-lit garage), but it's all good! Climbs like a cat up curtains and rides a lot like my Yo did, only a bit whippier... Brakes still strong enough to cause fork judder! :LOL:

Stick Legs":2essnbxr said:
If you ever want to sell, give me a bell.
Coming from someone with two of the nicest Brit steeds I've seen, I consider that a compliment indeed... Looks like she won't be embarrassed to be seen in such company next Sat!

Back