Big Dirty Weekender Aftermath Thread

:shock: perhaps you should have got the best crash award - I guess mine was just more visible :LOL:

swift recovery mate...[/quote]
Well you couldn,t have had anymore spectators ,crashing at the finish !! ;) GWS Sithlord :shock:

Thanks...... Ouch!!! ... Guys.. :LOL: .. really pleased I opted out of the sunday ride.. :roll: .. :) hurt everywhere today.. :LOL: :LOL:

Heres a few more pics.... enjoy.. :)

P1030189.jpg

P1030191.jpg

P1030195.jpg
P1030193.jpg

P1030199.jpg
P1030224.jpg

P1030211.jpg

P1030209.jpg

P1030207.jpg

P1030219.jpg

P1030221.jpg

DAY 1 REPORT

Roughly on schedule, just over 20 riders set out under a blue sky to the sound of 40 feet clacking into spuds

3761743798_640e7912cd_b.jpg

Gil got things underway by jumping out onto the busy road to stop a bemused coach, full of tourists to allow a rabble of brightly clad riders across and onto the lanes heading west. This little bimble was a warm up for the tarmac dive down into the Hole of Horcum- the lead group hitting 50mph down the hill before putting faith in canti brakes for the tight bend over the bridge. What goes down must go back up, granny gears were engaged and the slog back up the other side gave a taste of what was to come and foul language from Pottymouth Andy.
After a short regroup at the top whilst the Red Barron flew overhead, tarmac gave way to open moorland. The first timed section then took place on the open moor and finished at Skelton Tower.

3760945495_40b6fb0dfe_b.jpg

Stretched out before us were the stunning but slightly daunting moors we would have to cross before our lips would taste the sweet nectar of a fine Yorkshire ale in the village of Goathland.

3761746722_82cbf1270a_b.jpg

A few puntures and a little moorland sheep track later we headed down into Newtondale via a great technical and very much oldskool piece of singletrack that had become so overgrown with ferns that only heads were visible in the sea of green. Amazingly everyone made it down to the valley floor just in time to see the 12:30 to Pickering steam past.

3760947375_824932cd32_b.jpg

A long grind on Forest road took us up the day's second big climb up from Rapers farm and along the Nab before picking up muddy but fast singletrack to the edge of the moor. A long line of riders now attacked the tricky moorland bridleway- rutted and made narrow by thick heather that was ready to pull you in if one ran offline, onward toward another regroup at the stone circle called Simon Howe. We had a long wait here as Sidewinder limped in with a seized rear wheel which Giles, Orange and Co stripped and rebuilt with just basic tools and lots of bodgery.

3760946867_0a4a438d2d_b.jpg

Back underway with the trail now heading further North and at last downwards. Here we had the day's second timed section. Orange71 spectacularly cartwheeling his way over the finish- result a big hole in his knee. Sith also came a cropper on this section with a heavy off that later transpired to have broken is ribs. This was getting serious!

3760949039_b4d52ec696_b.jpg

After blood was mopped up and several plasters were applied he got back on his bike and we made our way down the hillside into Goathland and the Mallayan Spout Hotel for a few well earnt ales. We were already around 2 hours behind schedule at this point and only at halfway. The sun was still beating down and legs were beginning to tire. The route was tweeked again to make sure we would make it back and we said our hello's to Mr and Mrs Superstrong and our goodbyes to Sidewinder Dave who's bike had suffered further mechanical woes and who had to sit out the next 3 and a bit hours in the bar until the rescue car could be sent for him.

3761745242_2dcb23b128_b.jpg

Time was getting on and after stocking up on snacks, drinks and Heartbeat memorabilia the remaining group swung south and back up onto the moor past a vintage bus dropping off the days last group of tourists. This return route was rockier and the concentration detracted from tired legs and sunburnt arms but it was taking up more precious time. We still had a long way to go and it was decided to split the group. Those who wanted to continue would follow Gil and myself and Tim Justbackdated would lead the other group over a shorter moorland track to the relative comfort of a 6-7 mile road slog back to the campsite.

3761749182_d3d618173b_b.jpg

So with a roughly 50-50 split we bade our farewells and promised a bar full of cold beer to be awaiting the last group back. Our group lead by Gil , had decided that there would be no more stops unless we wanted to make it a lightless nightride, rapidly made its way along the planned route back along the moor, past Simon Howe and down to Gale Rigg forest. Luckily local lad Mark was waiting with fresh legs at the forest edge having finished his day's duty at the Village fete- just in time too as another mechanical threatened to delay us further.
Mark led the bulk of the group back to Levisham to wait at the pub. Ian myself and Gil talked about birthdays, holidays, future trips and a lost San Andreas whilst Sinnett affected repairs. After a few falst starts the last remaining four headed along the fireroad and singletrack back toward Levisham station. This is where Gil excells- local knowledge finding shortcuts that don't exist on maps. Even though I now ached from top to toe I began to grin from ear to ear as we decended on steepening narrow overgrown singletrack down onto the valley floor. This was easily the highlight of the whole route and I felt so sorry that only 4 out of the 20+ starters got to enjoy it.
We now had a slog up the other side of Newtondale, I lasted about 300yds before getting off and pushing up this killer incline. My bike, fitted with a 12-24 cassette was my undoing and by the time I had walked to the top and then coasted the last mile into Levisham the guys were already tucking into a second round.
One last push. The big downhill we had started the day with became another daunting uphill. More pushing and wheezing for me, measured but firm peddle strokes for everyone else had us up in a short amount of time before a short bimble back along country lanes to the welcome sights of a friendly pub and our campsite.

3760951331_82f1e75986_b.jpg

The 'Roadies' had made it back an hour before and as everyone chatted about the days struggle I nervously looked around to where they had erected the gallows in our absence. Luckily the only thing awaiting me was a cold beer and a good number of friendly smiling faces and handshakes.

3760950727_d4c06cb27b_b.jpg

As cold beer was consumed and the BBQ warmed up, the sound of Andy B's music drifted over the campsite whilst the sun sunk below the horizon. What would tomorrow bring? who wants another beer? It gets a little hazy from here on in, but I guess if you can remember, you wern't there!

More to follow......

Gutted I missed it :(

Looks awesome, bloody dirty london and its swine flu infestation :(

As a quick follow up to Si's report ,my bike(Saracen) is now well and truly in the "naughty bike"corner and feeling very sorry for itself covered in cr@p and with various bits hanging off it :cry: and there it will stay until I forgive it ;)

REPORT DAY 2
Sunday began for me with an epic hangover and the equally epic task of packing everything up. Two hours of hard graft later, with another cracking breakfast and several paracemol behind me we gathered for day two under leaden skies.
Due to several injuries and many more aching bones a smaller group comprising of Sinnett, BIBBY, MisterMonkeyWrench, Gil and Mrs Gil, Mark, Orange Ed, Andy 'Pottymouth' B, MJN (Marcus) and myself headed down into Dalby. No-one was in a fit enough state for a rull portion of red so with Gil leading the way once again we creeked and swore our way around for a few hours. The traditional slog up Housedale lead onto the first section of flowing trail under the trees- man, this was going to be hard.

Within 800 yards of singletrack there was a loud crack before the call of 'MECHANICAL!' Ed's carbon seatpost had snapped clean in half and once again the bodgers set too. There was no way the remnant would come out so Ed would have to singlespeed his way around standing up. My desroyed inner tube from day 1 was wrapped around the seat tube top to provide a little protection. What a sorry sight he looked- hung over, weeping wound on knee, broken bike and no gears!

3761752658_6345d3a716_b.jpg

So with heavy legs we plodded on and then things got interesting. Good old Gil started showing us some more 'off the radar' stuff again- some of them looked suspect at first, overgrown with bramble and nettles but yeilding to steep techy downhill and glorious flowing woodland sections under a canopy of beech. Despite not feeling well the grins and ethusiasm returned. This is the flipside of the Dalby everyone knows- whilst the hoards of carbon full sussers wound around the official routes, we were playing in the local playground of the cool local kids- and it felt good!

3760950217_55449ce6c5_b.jpg

We spent the next few hours dipping in and out of these unknown routes, back onto the Red Route, back off-piste and so on. The weather even held out for us depite its threats.

3761744358_82472e9e3a_b.jpg

Mark entertained us by chasing after the serious buggers on superbikes with his Singlespeed Cindercone every now and then and always took the big jumps with style.

I was starting to feel the results of 2 days of riding an old 80's steel FAT CHANCE with rigid forks by now and Dalby's worn out sections were starting to get the better of me and my not so long ago damaged wrist. My trusty steed 'Auld Faithful' was not fazed at all, a losening headset and puncture being the only trouble all weekend.

3760949677_3f03880d2f_b.jpg

Weary legs got us around the last few sections of Riggs and Dales before the final plummet over the field and back to the visitor centre. Short and sweet yes, but we had made it.

And that was it. Five months of planning, Three route recces, hundreds of PM's, phone calls, endless fettling and fretting and we had done it. The Big Weekender. Finished. And I guess we just about got away with it.

And I'm sorry to say we have decided to do it all again next year- bigger, better, slicker and generally a bit more organised. We'll take what we have learnt this year and improve the mix.

If you can't wait until next summer there will always be the NE&Yorks Group monthly rides with good riding, good craic and a beer waiting on the bar at the finish.

So until then, thanks again and si thi up on t'moor wi good fettle.

;) Si

What a great weekend :cool:

Big thanks to Dr_S and Gil for organising a great event and to everybody for coming along. Looking forward to next year already. Good to see so many new faces at an event. Credit to everyone riding on Saturday, that was a long old ride.

A few random highlights

*The ace riding. Far hillier than Warwickshire. And far better trails.
*Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate. And the loose freewheel. And the 6 mechanics on hand to repair said wheel.
*Taking the Overbury’s to warpspeed and beyond on the way back from the pub on Friday night.
*Dr S kindly laying on various other retro transport over the weekend. The retroplane, retrotrain, retropolicecar and of course retrobus.
*Ed’s crash and leg covered in claret.
*The pub stop(s) :cool:
*The old skool off piste hack through the undergrowth onto the railway line.
F*ish and chips Saturday night – cheers Tim and Julie!
*The bbq also on Saturday night. Hungry? Yes.
*Sunday’s cooked breakfast
*Sithlord’s secret bust rib. Fair play for getting on with it.

Hope everybody enjoyed Sunday’s ride. Look forward to checking out the pics properly later.

Back