Project 4: Orange Clockwork (Part 4 of 4 on page 3)

Great job as always Mark. But what a quandry- what do you ride at the RB meets? The Timmis bike or the lovely new clockwork?? Both are beautifully restored and the Raleigh still looks as fresh after a dozen rides so it's not a case of ruining them, more a case of having to choose which gets used.

Cheers
Si

super, super, super

never thought you'd be able to top the timmis but I feel you have mate!!!

if mine looks half as good as that i'll be well happy mate!!

Clockwork

Mark, just a question, do you find yourself picking the Clockwork up for a ride in favour of your other bikes? I do with mine all the time, it just rides so well and climbs like a goat.
On the tyre clearance issues, BITD 1.7 to 1.9 would have been more the norm width wise, always found Z max quite wide too and a bit "draggy"

Nice.

BITD I remember being upset at how little mud clearance there was on my Prestige. I was always confused at how a bike supposedly designed for UK conditions could have so little mud clearance and a rear facing seat tube clamp slot. I guess that the latter is responsible for the amount of these that you see with corroded seat tubes.

Brake blocks.
Odd they are designed (the assymetrical type) so that when the front hits the rim and the cantis twist forward the longer part of the pad takes the extra pressure giving even braking, reducing noise, improved pad life and better overall braking.
BUT if that what they say I'm not going to argue :)

Stem.
For me it's not a matching thing with the seatpost, I was mathing it up with the forks :LOL:

Picture with mud.
Now the bike looks MUCH better :D

FluffyChicken":31d8q0t2 said:
Brake blocks.
Odd they are designed (the assymetrical type) so that when the front hits the rim and the cantis twist forward the longer part of the pad takes the extra pressure giving even braking, reducing noise, improved pad life and better overall braking.
BUT if that what they say I'm not going to argue

It's got me thinking I must say. The pads are marked up as front or rear and left or right. My interpretation of it has been that the fronts and rears make pairs naturally, and then rights go on the drive side of the bike and lefts on the non drive side. Thinking about it it, it might be interpreted as right and left as you look at the canti's, this would make more sense as then the pads would all face in the same direction. In which case i've got the fronts the wrong way around. Oh well it's getting fitted with Aztecs today anyhow. Good spot FC! :D

I would read it the same way as you and looking at the picture here
http://members.home.nl/children-of-the-korn/BR-M900.htm
seems I was wrong for the M900 blocks (both types).

Bah, no wonder people complain about them, always worked really well for me but I used them back to front, probably got so used to doing it I never bothered looking at the markings. :LOL: Long time since I have actually used them though.

Orange Clockwork Anniversary Edition

hi all,

i came across this thread while trying to work out how much my orange clockwork is worth. didn't manage to find an answer, but i thought you might be interested to know that it is now on ebay with no reserve.

I can't post the link here because i'm a new member, but it shouldn't be difficult to find - the title is something like 'Retro Orange Clockwork Mountain Bike'

it's in very good nick! hope you don't me drawing attention to it. the auction ends next sunday evening (2 August I think).

cheers,
tom p

Hi Tom, mention it over on the ebay watch page. Make a few more posts around the place and ya should be able to link us there. :)

While I'm here, a very small part of this bike is in my custody at the mo...

Amazing build, Pace & Orange such a good mix...Clockwork definately an iconic bike

Only thing I would change is the saddlem think a black or even white would look better on there.

Niggle though, enjoy it :D

Back