Bontrager Privateer Comp - Rasta stylee

gingernuts/badger

Senior Retro Guru
hello....here's another one of my Bontys (there's another in the BMX bit, here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67538 )
She's been a labour of love for a while now and is nearly up to some proper riding - i think the Rock Shox disc brake needs new oil,maybe - and i'm getting some slip from the cassette at the back. I'm gonna sort a better matched wheel for the rear anyway sometime.
So, alot of t-cutting, elbow grease and a hairdryer later - here she is....

Frame: 18" Privateer comp, Rasta colour and 1' 1/8th headtube - suspension corrected - from '00 i think.
Forks: Pace RC31's - the longer sus correct ones
Headset: WTB grease guard
Stem: Salsa ahead - rasta sticker
Handlebar: Salsa pro moto wide n flat
Grips: Bonty lock on with red ano fancy bit

Brakes: Xt Vee / Rock Shox disc
Brake Pads: WTB razor blades
Brake Levers:XTR

Shifters: XT Rapid fire 8SPD .
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: XTR
Cassette: 8 SPD .
Chain: SRAM .
Cranks: XT hollow tech
Chainrings: XT
Chainring bolts: Red alloy
Bottom Bracket: XT isis i think
Pedals: Erm Shimano Spd's

Hub Skewers: Rasta Salsa
Rims: X517 at the front - rear is an OEM trek from way back
Hubs: XT rear / White Industries - Rock Shox disc specific front
Nipples: ?.
Spokes: ?
Tyres: WTB Velo-crappers K front - stel rear

Saddle: Bonty C20 cro-mo
Seatpost: Ringle Moby Deuce
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Liplock

Attachments

• rasta.jpg
    rasta.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 7,074
  • stopping_sortof.jpg
    stopping_sortof.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 7,074
  • seating.jpg
    seating.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 7,071
  • steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 7,073
Dubble-(butted)-step Ratsa stylee

Hey nice bonty...was riding a an old steel myself , along while ago i also found a BontyTi...so tis possible to find them, but be careful mine developed s crack around the chainstay ... (this happened after K.B. had autographed it!...). So the moral of the story is prehaps stick with steel?

Re: Dubble-(butted)-step Ratsa stylee

Nice bonty again. Deserves its place with the others. Looks like a proper rider as well and I mean that as a compliment :D

I've read on the other sections on here about Bonty's rusting badly, on seattube etc. Is that a common thing or not? Just curious :?

tangent":2a62gyhh said:
Hey nice bonty...was riding a an old steel myself , along while ago i also found a BontyTi...so tis possible to find them, but be careful mine developed s crack around the chainstay ... (this happened after K.B. had autographed it!...). So the moral of the story is prehaps stick with steel?

You getting it repaired? That's real unfortunate.

Really nice one :D
I haven´t seen another one like mine so that´s really cool.
I´ve never ridden without suspension though, must be stiff riding rigid.
I bought a mavic front wheel that also accomodates discbrake as I really want to do like you have.
I´ve seen people adding a rear discbrake tab, but I don´t know if I would dare risk someone welding on my bonty :?
Great rider
Jan

hi

thought i'd drag this thread out as i'll soon be dragging the beast out the shed!

the final M950 bits of the puzzle have arrived, rear wheel (with amazingly the same rim as the WI front) chainset, shifters and a rear Vee.

perfect timing for strapping the baby seat on the back and taking my new little fella out.

ps. do you think a rasta king would be overkill?

hmmmmmm

Back