retro bragging rights...

Pace":w2bdwnma said:
He took me through into the Giant enclosure where Tomac had just got back from pre-riding the course and was chatting to Bob Gregaro (?) his mechanic about changes to the bike.

Bob is the head wrench at the shop across the street that I can see now as I look out my office window (longingly as a group ride is about to leave and I'm stuck at work). He's a great guy, and an amazing mechanic. Funny, in all his wisdom, he still rocks the riser bars with bar ends.

Julie Furtado
Paul Hinton
Jet off of Gladiators when she raced the '94 Cheddar Challenge in Specialized kit. MMM Jet...

Raced the Quantock Cracker in 1992, the last one before they stopped racing on the Quant's. Tim Flooks comparing John Stevenson prize giving. That has always given the Quantocks a 'UK Marin county' vibe. ;)

Also raced the Cheddar Challenge in '92 '93 '94. Happy days. :D

did anyone else bump into john squire - him off stone roses fame at cheddar about 9 years ago? made my mrs go all funny! i made out that it was common event to have celebs mingling with us bike nerds.

mike edwards from jesus jones was always about too... word has it that keith flint from prodigy is pootling around epping forest on a kinesis xc bike these days too...

Mike Edwards occasionally comes out on the local roadie summer chaingang in Cheltenham. My missus also used to go riding with Sally Timmis.

MadCowKev":145fdglf said:
Pace":145fdglf said:
Met Tomac at the Plymouth Grundig years back. Got chatting to a Giant rep who couldn't believe I'd driven down from Newcastle just to watch Tomac race (I'd busted my knee so couldn't race). He took me through into the Giant enclosure where Tomac had just got back from pre-riding the course and was chatting to Bob Gregaro (?) his mechanic about changes to the bike.

Needless to saw I was a bit awestruck in the presence of the great man (I was 17) and I think Tomac did most of the talking....

Great guy though - still got the "When Jonny be good" poster he signed - framed and in pride of place in the living room. For some reason the wife thinks it is kitsch and lets me get away with it!

Also have some really bad pics of me with Tomac where I have the worst "JMC" esque long hair do ever....

I can ditto that - got the same pictures, signed number plate (i raced) and bad haircut - no comments please Tony!

Kev you wait till I scan the photos!

On the subject of Tomac and Plymouth, I once refused him an entry at registration because US Cycling had forgotten to include him on the list of US entries.

A few trans-Atlantic faxes eventually had it sorted out!

Now if we are going to name drop, who do I know fairly well (not all retro)...

Peaty (first introduced to him in a pub in Shefield when he was drinking underage), that was a long time ago!
JMC (god bless him)
Dave Hemming (since he was about 16, now gone Stateside)
Dave's Parents (and I'm on their Christmas Card list so there)!
Steve Behr (remember it was he that took the photo's Kev)
Rory Hitchens
Paul Hinton
Cedric Gracia (tried to blow me up with a firework once but makes good coffee)!
Greg Minnaar
Oli Beckinsale
Oli's Dad
Scott Beaumont
Scott's Mum and Dad
Rob Warner

Oh the list goes on!

I knew I still had it somewhere!

See I do know someone "famous" Mad Cow Kev as he appeared in the March 1993 Edition of MBUK :D

Kev, you're gonna kill me for this aren't you!

Attachments

• MCR MBUK 20001.JPG
    MCR MBUK 20001.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,534
OK OK to make amends, here's my ghastly entry too!

Attachments

• MCR MBUK 1.JPG
    MCR MBUK 1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,529
don't like to brag :D

Alan Bonds - our ride two weeks back
ab_36.jpg

other than CK can't go back much further than the victor of that first repack rack

Back