A sobering ride

Re: Riding faster

Jamiedyer":8s148yxe said:
In my experience the quickest way to get faster is to ride with guys, girls that are faster.
Fitness and machinery etc aside I have found you will get faster quicker doing this rather than riding on your own.You tend to push yourself a bit harder and for longer than by yourself and all of a sudden its not an effort as much, you've just picked up your average.
yup, spot on.
I have also found that as I get older, even when my fitness is up, that I dont have the 'punch' or anywhere near the acceleration I did when younger. Not that I had much to start with but I just have less now ;)
again, quite right. But these days I have strength and stamina that I didnt have as a youth, and I'm doing less miles. After 60 miles I can grind the young bucks into the ground and drive into headwinds. I could never do this in my racing days.

I started going out with our local group 3-4 months ago. At first I was very wary about being able to hang on but managed (with a bit of effort the first couple of times) and have been out 2-3 times a week since. We go Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings, always at the same time and route so people can join up along the way. Distances vary from 40 to 65 miles. Sunday runs are different, longer and varying routes - and harder!

The group members vary from sometimes 6 up to 26. We can have ex-pros, a schoolboy national champion, ex-track and road champions (and scrubbers like me!) but it is always steady - and sometimes fast! No shame in dropping off, just try again next time or carry on to the cafe and recover.

I've found it invaluable for my overall general fitness levels - and as an aid to maintaining enthusiasm as I would never do this amount of riding purely on my own.

I've been out on my retro Duralinox and had no trouble so the bike is not necessarily the key to success.

Back