Orange Formula

John":5kig8u80 said:
Was after pics of the mtb actually. Something I've been aware of but not sure if I've ever actually seen one.

6 or 7 made does make it rare though. Could be the holy grail of the uk mtb scene :D

I may know where there is one, a friend of mine had one back in 94 and i don't think he sold it.

there's a few other real rare UK made bikes, check out the frames that Team Hot Pie used in all those MBUK early spreads, they were badged Denton Cycles and hand made in Durham not at Dave Yates as some thought. Not many of them were made!

Jonny Clay and Adrian Timmis used D2's when they represented Orange on the road.

I saw Jonny Clay racing around Aberdeen city centre on one, must've been 94, 95ish.

Also saw him at the World Track Champs in Manchester in 1996 - what bike would he have been on then?

Interesing as to your comments on the road front. What does this hold for Mr Ks orange road bike.?

michael@orange":1ekjqmte said:
John":1ekjqmte said:
Was after pics of the mtb actually. Something I've been aware of but not sure if I've ever actually seen one.

6 or 7 made does make it rare though. Could be the holy grail of the uk mtb scene :D

I may know where there is one, a friend of mine had one back in 94 and i don't think he sold it.

there's a few other real rare UK made bikes, check out the frames that Team Hot Pie used in all those MBUK early spreads, they were badged Denton Cycles and hand made in Durham not at Dave Yates as some thought. Not many of them were made!

Denton have been up in Newcastle since 1994 (and probably before) as far as I'm aware. Not aware of there being a frame shop in Durham.

Oh, and Hot Pies :D

hotpies.jpg

John":pg82ll9r said:
Interesing as to your comments on the road front. What does this hold for Mr Ks orange road bike.?

Denton have been up in Newcastle since 1994 (and probably before) as far as I'm aware. Not aware of there being a frame shop in Durham.

Oh, and Hot Pies :D

AFAIK there is only one Formula model, the MTB version. I'll check with Lester and Steve, Steve's road bike might have Formula stickers on but its black. The orange/white fade was unique to the Clockwork and Prestige AIR although i am having my new 5 painted up like that :D

There are/were 3 frame builders in Durham, Avanti/Paul Donohue, Kevin Winter and Jack Wright/Midderidge Engineering. Colin who owned Dentons was also a partner with Paul Donohue and the Hot Pies frames were Donohues badged Denton. I'm not certain if these were ever sold, I had a Denton road frame but not an MTB.

Guess we're talking cross purposes. All the builders you mention are COunty Durham (although isn't Midderidge on Teeside?), was talking about Durham City. Although I do stand to be corrected on there not being a frame shop in the city.

Ornge 5 in retro colours...sweet

:D

yeah agreed John. Orange 5 in retro orange/white. That could look fantastic! :shock:
Good job its not production :roll:

Scotch Mist Descends on Halifax???

michael@orange":33x4taom said:
John":33x4taom said:

AFAIK there is only one Formula model, the MTB version. I'll check with Lester and Steve, Steve's road bike might have Formula stickers on but its black. The orange/white fade was unique to the Clockwork and Prestige AIR although i am having my new 5 painted up like that :D

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=22083

Michael, I bought this Orange 'Formula' 753 off a lead on ebay from a cycle shop in Halifax last year, so it must be local to you - apparently the original owner's widow wished to dispose of it... Deffo the classic Clockwork paint scheme and is entirely original. Does that help? BTW would the factory be able to offer a respray and refurbish??

Neil

Re: Scotch Mist Descends on Halifax???

mrkawasaki":19n72vmk said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=22083

Michael, I bought this Orange 'Formula' 753 off a lead on ebay from a cycle shop in Halifax last year, so it must be local to you - apparently the original owner's widow wished to dispose of it... Deffo the classic Clockwork paint scheme and is entirely original. Does that help? BTW would the factory be able to offer a respray and refurbish??

Neil

I'll ask if anyone remembers it on Monday but I'd be surprised if it is a Formula 753. We don't paint the orange/white fade in house ( Bob Jackson did the retro Clockwork paint job this year) so almost every proto or special gets a plain powder coat. Most of the road protos are in 53 or 54 cm size ( fits Steve and me :D) and looking at the geometry it isn't where Steve was with his bike design I'd have expected a more sloping top tube.

Stickers were quite easy to get hold of and I've got a Dave Yates road frame sprayed up with Orange decals, we've also resprayed other companies road bikes for team riders in the years when we haven't made them and put Orange decals on them.

We can respray powder coat, I think the details are on our website. I'd suggest Bob Jackson if you want the orange/white fade. Original printed decals are now very, very rare, there are small variations because Lester liked playing around with the look and John who does our decals now does the same. Vinyl cut decals are a bit easier as we should have the cutter files but even they are on an old System 7 Quadra mac that nevers get started up.

Back