Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Carlos the Slackal":2zsdruy1 said:
Profile Durangos! Wow!

I had a pair of those, way back when. I then found some amazing grip tubes for them as well. Such great bars for long distance riding!

I have a spare NOS set ready for when these die. I got these from the Plymouth Worlds the year David Baker won. I got them cheap as only the narrow 21" ones were left.

The grips sound like a good idea. I am going to 'customise' these with road cork tape. They even help keep brambles etc off your hands this time of year.

Several months after getting hold of this damaged and therefore free Saracen frame, I've finally got around to building it up.
I ordered a frame from the 'Bankrupt Surplus Bikes' bloke on eBay back in February. I was a bit annoyed when the wrong frame turned up, and a damaged one at that. Despite this, I can't fault John the eBay trader for his excellent customer service. A couple of very polite email exchanges and the correct frame was sent out and, as an added bonus, I got to keep the original one. So two frames for £20 has to be a real bargain.

The frame I originally ordered was built up to replace my touring bike and turned out very nicely like this:

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(3).jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then left with another spare frame which was easily repairable I decided to make good use of it.

So began work on my 'retro-mod' winter hack bike.
Here is the damage to the frame:

saracen-dropout.jpg
saracen-top-tube.jpg

I repaired the bent drop-out and decided that I could live with a cosmetically damaged top-tube. I did however remove a section of brazed on cable pipe for a rear canti brake and drilled out the lower cable stop so that I could use v-brakes.
I raided the spares box and gathered together enough parts to build yet another bike.
Eventually the frame and £5 set of Saracen forks went off to the powder coaters.

£30 and 8 days later...

Saracen-Hack-01m.jpg
Saracen-Hack-02m.jpg
Saracen-Hack-03m.jpg
Saracen-Hack-components.jpg

And so this was built up over the weekend using mostly Deore M510/530 components, with 8 speed STX-RC shifters, and some bullet-proof self built wheels.
The mudguards and rack are a very practical feature which should keep me dry in winter as well as during the permadrizzle summers we seem to be getting nowadays.
All this weighs in at a reliably tank like 34 pounds, so it'll be good for training on too.

Saracen-Hack-04.jpg

Saracen-Hack-05p.jpg
Saracen-Hack-06p.jpg

Saracen-Hack-07s.jpg
Saracen-Hack-08s.jpg
Saracen-Hack-09s.jpg

I'm not totally sure what year this frame is, but my best guess would be about 1995 or possibly earlier, but whatever it is I quite like it.
So there you have it. Another piece of old Saracen steel put to good use.

Does bankrupt bike seller know what saracen frames they are or are they just "steel saracen bike frames"? Any idea what they are from?

PS: Looks awesome in white. Great job.

Terratrax

Hi, saw this thread and had to join your group and post. I bought a 19" saracen frame from the bankrupt ebay trader late last year. It turned out to be a terratrax frame, purple, never been used (lacquer still on bb threads). I bought this because I couldn't afford a kona and I'd set my heart on a light steel frame so thought it'd be worth £20 to get me started.
Over the next few months I spent far too much money at CRC, flood sale and all that and now have one hell of a commuter.
Highlights; deore hollowtech II crank, xt mechs, custom CRC wheelset xt disc hubs mavic 317 rims, avid juicy 7 front disc, brooks b17 saddle, tioga skidrow 2.3 tyres. the list goes on. The forks let it down at the moment, I got a £15 suntour 100mm fork off ebay to see if the geometry would be ok and I have to say I love it, so easy to ride fast. I even got a fancy carbon bottle cage the other week.
The best thing about this frame is that it feels alive, you can feel it flex under power, it soaks up the bumps, and just feels right. Never again will I want an ally frame.
Will post some pics when I get around to it, even with full mudguards it looks cool (the massive tyres help)

Back