Some Retro things are better off left alone

Mad Cow":2lkzu9yt said:
Cutting down your already narrow flat bars so you couldn't breathe properly!

Hahaha, yeah I remeber that one too.... almost everyone at school back then who had a mountainbike also had their bars shortened to about 30cm (well, 15cm out of each side of the stem).

That always was a guarantee for lots of fun when you took one of them guys into the woods with ya :twisted: :p :D

Cleated MTB shoes with clips and straps... WTF! (A 'la Alpinestars and AXO mission 1's)

Tried these and bought SPD's about 2 months later having scared myself silly!

Wu-Tangled":2hoc5rki said:
Sure, we can all wax lyrical about the 1990 green/white/pink paint job or the coolness of a tube that's square - and who can blame us - we all love older bikes.

But some things are best left back there in the day I'm afraid.

I refer to the mt christof toeclips that nearly killed me this morning on the way to work.

Ok, it was mainly the bus that was at fault, but bloody hell - I forgot how lethal toeclips can be when it all goes North Korean.

Proper scary.

Survival of the fittest in nature and if she deems toeclips should die out to make way for clipless pedals as part of the evolutionary ladder - and who's to argue with her.

I can see only one solution here; don't ride to work. ;)

I still use SPD 737 , the only SPD I like , I have 4 pair so far .I tried some 747 recently and did not like them . :oops:

Toe clips with the right shoes and pedals were good too , but not as good as SPD .

Onza HO SPD's elastomers always took ages to wear in.
You'd be unable to clip in or out properly for a couple of weeks with each new set!

spd's after about 5 mins were the dogs...clips and straps death on a bike
and that was just off road 4ks knows what they would be like on a crowded road , and those strap things what were they called ...
no use at all
today spd's or big flatties

mikee

Back