Groupset for my bike

pistolpedro

Old School Hero
Looking to fit a groupset to an old harry quinn frame I have

it has braze on shifter mounts, can any shifters be fitted to these or do they come in different thread sizes ? (i.e are campagnolo / shimano different) if so how do I tell what I’ve got on the frame ?

Also the groupsets I am looking at are non indexed, can I use a campagnolo derailleur with a shimano rear cassette? ( I have a 5 speed rear wheel from my shimano equipped bike which I’d like to reuse)

Bottom bracket is shimano I’m guessing this will have to be changed if I want to use a campag chainset?

thanks in advance

Pete

You can mix any friction based shifting you like.

You cant mix indexed very well (try ShimErgo but I dont bother)

your braze-ons should be ok - I've only come across some Suntour levers that didnt quite fit anything.

Campagnolo chainsets require a slightly different taper to fit.

legrandefromage":vz6b28pr said:
Campagnolo chainsets require a slightly different taper to fit.
but they do fit. ive successfully interchanged many over the years. My best bike is running a campag square taper chainset on a 1984 cup-and-cone dura ace BB. Its just that they slide on further, so you could end up with a dodgy chainline. Also keep end bolts and BBs from the same make - there seems to be a very slight difference in threads.

Campag fits less far onto a Shimano BB. There is only about 4-5 mm sitting on the taper. I've tried it, trashed a Campag crank. Personally it's not something I would repeat. Campag BBs are cheap and strong anyway.

Thanks for the replys guys,, bit of a change in plan having to go for 700c instead of 27 as I’m wanting to fit mudguards,

I have a set of shimano wheels which I want to use only problem is there quite a modern wheel (I think they would have 10 speed cassette fitted usually)

Is there a maximum number of gears that a non index campag derailleur can accommodate ? if so is it possible to fit an older cassette say 6 speed to a modern wheel?

pistolpedro":1ko8ozuw said:
Thanks for the replys guys,, bit of a change in plan having to go for 700c instead of 27 as I’m wanting to fit mudguards,

I have a set of shimano wheels which I want to use only problem is there quite a modern wheel (I think they would have 10 speed cassette fitted usually)

Is there a maximum number of gears that a non index campag derailleur can accommodate ? if so is it possible to fit an older cassette say 6 speed to a modern wheel?

it will accomodate as many as the shift adjustment screws on the mech will allow.

I've used a 1988 Deore mech with a 9spd set up no prob.

Back