Fave road rider

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
There's a generation here in the UK who's interest in cycling was cemented by the coverage the Tour De France used to (and still does) recieve here in the UK. For a nation more used to watching snooker, darts, wrestling or football on a rainy saturday afternoon seeing men like Lemond, Indurain and Chiapucci fight epic battles over the 'haute montagnes' was a real breath of fresh air.

Anyhow I digress slightly. Who was your favourite rider. Now mine would probably be Merckx for what he achieved and how he did it. Back then it would have to be Lemond

lemond_intro.jpg

The first Tour I watched properly was 1990 - ahhhh, happy days :D

My fav rider was Bernard Hinault , and i was lucky enough to meet him when he was retired and working with Look . He used to tour the dealers with the reps . The funny thing about him as that once he retired he never touched a bike again . He worked for Look for a while and off course the TDF , but his main activity is running his farm .

I think the first tour I followed closely (which was difficult as we got bugger all coverage in this part of the world) was either 87 or 88 and at the time I thought Delgado was great. I remember there was a lot of hype about Lemond in 89 and Fignon was almost painted as evil by the US influenced media over here at the time.

My favourite road rider though is Jan. I love watching footage of him in the 90s pushing big gears. Its a shame he's retired through contorversy but hopefully he can clear his name and join the MTB world cup - maybe on a single speeder pushing those big gears ;)

I thought Sean Yates was cool. And he overtook me once on the roads of Sussex just when I thought I was going reasonably fast and was immediately humbled.

It was so great when you could watch the Tour on Channel 4 at tea time every night wasn't it. I really miss it now. Could be reason enough to get a digibox I suppose.

Old Phil Liggott and Gary Imlach wasn't it?

Aye- first tour I watched was 1990- I remember Ronan Pensec winning a moutain stage, completely knackered, and thinking "He's Cool!"......

Shame I missed the epic 1989 finish.........french hero loses to Yank on final stage time trial, and they've never had a final stage TT since! Strange...........!!

But as to favourite rider- in a period dominated by Indurain and Lance, for sheer Bare-Arsed Cheek and Spanner-in-the-Workiness, it has to be
Chiappucci_96.jpg

Cheers,
Dav

yeah I remember the 89 one. I thought Fignon was quite cool at the time.

I sat there in my Fagor top and thought i was part of the action. :oops:

Gianni Bugno was my favourite rider, has since become a helicopter rescue pilot and never rides anymore preferring running ... amazing what you can learn on the Internet..

Re: Spotty Dog

mrkawasaki":3bxjummq said:
I think it was the pink dots that did it for me...

LOL - I've just bought a polka dot Giro Atmos in order that I look like a right tw*t when (thinking I'm climbing well) someone on a road bike comes past me on my hardtail tutting.

:oops: :LOL:

Re: Spotty Dog

Fausto Coppi, before my time obviously but both on and off the bike, the man was an animal :)

Back