ebay.co.uk : colnago master

John":gjqhuisx said:
Been up for weeks (or months), will it ever sell :?

Not at that wildly optimistic price it won't. Plus it is such a big frame for a very tall gentleman. And the drop on those bars :shock:

This bike has been for sale for over a year. Probably nearly 2 years since I first saw it.

I do like this seller's work, but to me, it's got too many mixed up bits to be worth the price.

The Campag parts span more than a decade (1993-2004) and most are not C-Record vintage, so not so valuable. The cranks and front derailleur would not be considered retro by most, being from no earlier than ~2004 and quite possibly later.

I date the frame at around 1999, and the only part that appears to be from that year is the seatpost. Strictly speaking, the frame should have 9 speed, or even 1st generation 10 speed setup to be period correct.

Now, I don't really care if a bike has a groupset that is a different vintage to the frame vintage, but to me, I like my bikes to have components that all date from the same time period and preferably, the same year. It's much harder to put together, much more aesthetically pleasing, and, as a consequence, much more desireable. There is also a loose argument that parts from the same year will work better together than a mishmash of parts spanning a decade or more.

A better example of this seller's work is the green bike in the last picture. All beautiful 2nd gen C-Record (if you ignore the seatpost), mounted on a frame in a colour that I've never seen anywhere else, and believed to be a custom job. That one sold quite quickly.

Colnago master

Hi guys
A bit off topic here but a fits the discussion I think.
Not really up on Colnago's but I have been offered a master olympic in my size, just frame and fork, in very good condition for £685, does this sound about the right sort of money?
I know its hard with no pics or year, but I dont have them as I havnt really pursued it. I believe it to be early/mid 90's and in very good condition. I have seen a couple of pics but I deleted the email.
Just thought I would ask while your all debating prices.

Jamie

pic

Found the pic.

10920-big.jpg

Jamie

Re: Colnago master

Jamiedyer":jv0q73m4 said:
Hi guys
Not really up on Colnago's but I have been offered a master olympic in my size, just frame and fork, in very good condition for £685, does this sound about the right sort of money?
I know its hard with no pics or year, but I dont have them as I havnt really pursued it. I believe it to be early/mid 90's and in very good condition. I have seen a couple of pics but I deleted the email.

Jamie

I'm selling a complete £ 600 (large for you)
your not me as a good opportunity ...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66956

Re: Colnago master

Jamiedyer":2jpofpd0 said:
Hi guys

Jamie

For what it is worth I'd say that £685 for frame and fork is pretty steep - depending on how much you like it I'd have thought £250-275 would be more than fair to the seller.

Colnago

Cheers Ed
As I'm not up on Colnago prices I wasnt sure which end of the price scale this was even situated. I used to see one all the time in JEJames in Sheffield but I was determined to get my Merckx, which I am glad I did. A nice Colnago will sit alongside it nicely, but never replace it ;)

Hi Quakee
If you took about 8cm off of that, then I would be on a plane to Verona by the weekend. ;)
It is lovely

Jamie

MAster

Prices for MXL frames have plummeted. A good one with Force forks will make £400 max I reckon. That guy keeps bringing these big, sometimes weird things out - that one would be better split, the wheels would put people off, nevermind the price. You've got to watch what your doing when trying to sell one of these - the components need to be very complimentary and more 'traditional' for anyone to buy the lot at a decent price.

Re: MAster

lelobysfoot":1plska4a said:
Prices for MXL frames have plummeted. A good one with Force forks will make £400 max I reckon. That guy keeps bringing these big, sometimes weird things out - that one would be better split, the wheels would put people off, nevermind the price. You've got to watch what your doing when trying to sell one of these - the components need to be very complimentary and more 'traditional' for anyone to buy the lot at a decent price.
I agree with some sentiments, but disagree that prices for MXL frames have plummeted. They certainly have not.

Prices are a function of several factors...

Condition.
Unused, unmarked, and in perfect condition is the pinnacle. Anything else will be cheaper. Example.

Style.
The competition frames seem to go for more than other designs. A function of the artistry of the Competition frame, but there are exceptions. some colours seem to be more valuable than others, but fashion is fickle.

Sizing.
There will be more demand for a bike frame that is closer to the average bike rider's size than a very big or very small frame.

Exchange Rate.
Buyers are global these days. In the last 2 years I've seen more than a 40% fluctuation in my domestic currency compared with the USD. I stopped buying when I could no longer compete with the USA bidders. However, the exchange rate disadvantage I faced was more than offset by the increase in purchasing power by the Yanks, so prices have not suffered.

I recall a similar discussion on another forum about whether a buyer had paid too much for a frame he really loved and wanted, and the truth is that if you've got the money, and the bike is there at that price, and you want it, it's worth buying. The truth is that the Master Olympic in Jamiedyer's picture was available in that colour scheme from 1993-1996, so there are quite a few out there. It is entirely possible that if he waits long enough another one will come along for less money. The wait could be weeks, months or years though. If the paint scheme was rarer, I wouldn't be taking that risk.

Back