Bianchi Pista - Subtly Wrong

GarethPJ

Retro Guru
I used to quite fancy a Bianchi Pista, but I saw one at the station last night and I've really gone off them. It's the first time I've seen one close up and it just looked more wrong the more I looked at it.

It's supposed to look retro, but it just looks cheap. I'm not sure exactly what period they're aiming at, but I wouldn't consider deep section rims retro. The aheadset and stem looks wrong too, but the worst part of the whole bike for me was the fork. Close up it looks like the fork from a bargain basement rigid MTB minus the brake bosses, in fact that's probably exactly what it is. They probably raided the parts bin and came up with those.

I tried to order one a couple of years ago but they'd sold out everywhere. Why do they sell out of these things every year?

Anyway I'm going to build something properly retro, right down to some moustache bars or similar and old fashioned wheel size (maybe a 26x1 1/4"). And painted black, natch.

What I don't get is why the Pista in particular there are better fixies out there that are more stylistically coherent. These Bianchi actually looks like some fashion victim has tried and miserably failed to make a retro looking bike, it's a mess of modern and retro. I'd rather see fully modern than that.

To be fair though some of those limitted edition Langsters are actually worse. Trying to make a compact aluminium framed bike look retro is truly ridiculous.

Good thing you weren't able to buy one back then, probably saved you from a major disappointment if this is how you feel about them now! :)

PIGEON":2sqyb3m7 said:
Good thing you weren't able to buy one back then, probably saved you from a major disappointment if this is how you feel about them now! :)

True enough. I've have ended up spending a fortune on forks, headset, stem and wheels. The thing is I think the British importers were a little embarassed at the time because in the publicity shots it looked like it had a quill stem and the fork crown was indistinct.

Back