Thetford Summer Series - Round 2 - 19th July

It's going to be interesting, how quickly can the forest dry out? not quick enough!

See y'all tomorow, I'm planning to get there about 8am so I can get a nice gentle pre-ride lap in so there are no nasty suprises on the first lap. Will be the first run for the 'pimp my ride' wheels :p :cool: ;)

It was emotional:

Attachments

• 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,618
  • 200-1.jpg
    200-1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,618
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,618
  • 155-1.jpg
    155-1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,618
i absolutly hurt today but it was worth it for 27th place hoow yeah cant wait til iv'e fully recovered so i cant start getting ready for the next one sweet :cool: :cool: im glad everyone a good time chris i hope your knee gets better soon mate :D and thanks for the cake that made my day :D :D :D :D :D

Where shall I start ...

Saw a curious message on Saturday evening from CK on the Thetford MTB forum desparately asking for a lift to the race, strange, whats going on? I thought. Then at 11:15pm I get a text from CK asking if I can bring some food with me CK & Average Mark are camping at the race site and forgotten to bring any. It turns out the train they had planned to catch early Sunday was cancelled and had made a last minute decision to camp overnight. They had omitted a couple of necessary items - food and water!

I arrived at the race sight shortly after 8:00am with sustenance for our hungry troops.

Neil__J arrived and our team of RB die-hards was complete. The course was mostly familiar singletrack which we ride at our RB meets, there were a few bits that I did not recognise at all which is nice. The lap was 6.2 miles and 85% singletrack. The race results speak for themselves, I was happy just to ride for the whole event and finish, other were racing hard. I did have one big off on my third lap, on some tight twisty singletrack I heard group of fast riders approaching me, slowing down I pulled to the side of the track where it was long grass. SMACK! I hit a tree stump hidden from my view and flew over the bars. Picking myself and dragging my bike away from the racing line I heard the cries of 'are you alright?' as they sped past me. A bit of flesh lost and a cut knee was my reward for my efforts at being courteous.

Well, it was an interesting race. Excellent course, plenty of swoopy singletrack to keep us entertained but the non-fireroad uphills started to drag a bit towards the end, the Plumb Buster certainly got less fun each time.
I started running out of energy on the 6th lap and was totally dead by the 8th, was struggling to concentrate enough to stay on the track. Still, I made it to the end which is all I wanted to do. When CK caught up with me on the 7th lap there was no way I could keep up with him.
I did learn an important lesson though, eat plenty before and during the race otherwise you'll be a zombie by the end.

neil__j":3r4m3ydb said:
I started running out of energy on the 6th lap and was totally dead by the 8th

You didn't look too good at the finish, I studied up feeding and re-hydration tactics carefully when I used to race seriously years ago. Even towards the end of the race I had plenty of energy left and did not feel tired. The only thing that let me down was my left knee which was hurting after my crash and my back which was to be expected.

I carried in my Camelbak 2 litres of water with a can of Red Bull mixed in it (a personal favourite but not to everyones taste) - refilled after 2 hours of riding, Torq energy gels, Black Cherry yoghurt flavour - 1 every hour on the hour & in my pit box I had 500ml of Nuun rehydration drink which I swigged half of when I re-filled my Camelbak. Worked well for me. Dehydration seriously affects performance as you have personally found out. This sort of refueling needs to be practised before a race, don't wait until race day to try it and find out you get stomach cramps from a certain type of energy supplement.

With regard to feeding before the race, anything eaten less than 3 hours before is too late. You need to 'carbo load' the day before. Eat loads, and I mean loads of healthy carbs, Malt loaf is brilliant as long as you don't but spread on it, usual stuff like bananas, pasta and jacket potato with baked beans is excellent - no butter on the spud. Go for high carbs, some protein and no fat. Avoid fat altogether if you can, it slows down your carb intake. Drink lots of water, it helps your body store the carbs as energy. Sipping an energy drink thoughout the day helps a great deal.

On the day an ideal breakfast is porridge with banana but must be eaten at least 3 hours before the race. Sip an energy drink to keep you hydrated for the time between breakfast and the race.

Back