Want to buy a new Full Sus bike ...

Hilts

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Recommendation please, looking to spend around a grand ...

Going to be used for XC and enduro racing, so NOT a downhill machine..

I've been thinking Giant Anthem or similar ...

Anyone got a good experience of a new bike they'd care to share ??

Just building up a Yeti ASR-SL, will keep you informed, but switched from a 5-6" Turner-5 spot-ish Pipedream Full Sus. We'll see.. :D

For that money, I think you're on the right lines with a Giant - the Scott range are good value but I haven't ridden one.

Keep an eye out for frames that haven't changed in a couple of years and see if you can get a deal on an old version.

Part of me thinks you might be better off buying 2nd hand if you can find one to fit in good nick.

You can have a spin on mine if you like :)

Oh, and What MTB has a review of up to £2K full sussers this month

@ Woody

My worry is that if i try your bike i'll want one, and my proposed new garage might then lose it's roof !!

My LBS have all their range down at Bedgebury to hire so i might head down there and try a couple out, but they only have Giants so a bit limited.

See if you have a Haro distributor in your country...

Im riding one of their VL120's, the topmodel Werx 5 frameset. VPP system, works lovely and is great in terms of value....

14_1165353820.jpg

the giant anthem is very good, if a little short on travel, the trance has 4.2" which maybe better if you ever get to wales..

they both ride real good, due to a low centre of gravity, corner very well.

kona's are often underated (just cus' they dont use the latest tech.) but you dont get much for a grand..

trek are worth looking at..

you are limited with a grand, theres gona be a trade off somewhere, so look for a good frame & shock, not the best brakes/gears etc. you can always upgrade.

with giant being such a huge company, they can offer dam good value, & bloody good bikes, id always go for a descent frame design over anything else. I dont even sell them anymore! hows that for honesty!!??

pauls cycles was selling off trances for £500 not so long ago it might be worth asking them to see what they have

2nd hand orange sub5 or patriot. go fairly cheap on ebay. single pivot so sod all maintenance. same for 2nd hand kona, trek etc.
flux, 5spot & ASR are all very nice, but rare to see them go cheap 2nd hand...

Back