FAT Chance wicked Finished pics on 1

I'm surprised the amount of debate surrounding the forks. By all means carry on but are they that contoversial? Personally, the pedigree and rarity does count for some of the appeal and I've always liked the look of straight blades. Can I ask the folks that don't like them what they would fit instead? Again I must say these are staying but I'd be interested in what you all think :D

Neil G":2x8qs26w said:
purplewicked":2x8qs26w said:
purplewicked":2x8qs26w said:
Lovely bike, shame the forks spoil the build as they are IMO fugly

Matter of opinion though, if your happy with that's all good :D
the fork is the highest point of that build. true high end, rare, great performing piece of cycling machinery.
i don't get it: an Orange, Kona or a Gt are praised as a beauties but that handmade by cyclist to the highest standards of performance groovy fork is seen as ugly... :shock:

Rare and high end doesn't make something pretty...it's still an ugly fork

form follows function. if it works beautifully it looks beautifull. beauty is shaped by function in the case of industrial design. it's a logical thing.

classic bikes as classic cars are about history and pedigree. information makes all the difference. is a Potts ugly? is a cunningham pretty? mountain gioat. salsa. Ibis.. Those bikes were cutting edge avant garde. mtb royalty.
Groovy is stepped in that royalty.

nostalgia otoh is a terrible judge of beauty. a zazkar w/ that silly triple triangle. orange which copied fat city features in taiwan(their fork or monostay). what's to like? because they were at shop windows when we started mtb?

I'd agree with some of that in terms of bikes which were avant garde

Some companies made parts/bikes that worked and looked beautiful, others didn't

I still don't get it 100% though, I wouldn't buy antiques for my home just because they were rare/expensive...I'd have to really like the pieces, I suppose I feel the same about old bikes/parts

i buy vintage bikes based on their meaning to the evolution of the sport.
they are not "antiques" neither "pretty". they are significant.
most of those who are into collecting anything know the history and buy significance, not prettyness.
taste is about knowledge.

kaiser":tcn294t9 said:
I'm surprised the amount of debate surrounding the forks. By all means carry on but are they that contoversial? Personally, the pedigree and rarity does count for some of the appeal and I've always liked the look of straight blades. Can I ask the folks that don't like them what they would fit instead? Again I must say these are staying but I'd be interested in what you all think :D

kaiser, could you measure the AC height of the groovy?

thanks

purplewicked":r2sratu0 said:
Neil G":r2sratu0 said:

the fork is the highest point of that build. true high end, rare, great performing piece of cycling machinery.
i don't get it: an Orange, Kona or a Gt are praised as a beauties but that handmade by cyclist to the highest standards of performance groovy fork is seen as ugly... :shock:

form follows function. if it works beautifully it looks beautifull. beauty is shaped by function in the case of industrial design. it's a logical thing.

classic bikes as classic cars are about history and pedigree. information makes all the difference. is a Potts ugly? is a cunningham pretty? mountain gioat. salsa. Ibis.. Those bikes were cutting edge avant garde. mtb royalty.

nostalgia otoh is a terrible judge of beauty. a zazkar w/ that silly triple triangle. orange which copied fat city features in taiwan(their fork or monostay). what's to like? because they were at shop windows when we started mtb?

I still don't get it 100% though, I wouldn't buy antiques for my home just because they were rare/expensive...I'd have to really like the pieces, I suppose I feel the same about old bikes/parts

most of those who are into collecting anything know the history and buy significance, not prettyness.

So apparently I have no taste for not liking that fork lol

I suppose I'm not that anal when it comes to retro bikes, I don't collect them because of their significance to the sport...I collect/lust after them because they're the bikes I REALLY wanted BITD.

I suppose everyone has different reasons for being into retro bikes....maybe I'm not taking it seriously enough lol

im with you 100% neil

collecting because other people think its cool :LOL:

the groovy forks could have be crafted by the messiah himself with one of a kind unobtanium tubing held together with mrTs grr and the hopes and dreams of everybody who ever lived but they still look ghey

purplewicked":28zndvwl said:
is a Potts ugly?

oh dear, i'm going to be killed. some of the old pottses are ugly as sin with their wrong-way sloping top tube. the torchwork is good, but jordan's plastic surgeons had a lot of skill.....

perry":1neapy66 said:
im with you 100% neil

the groovy forks could have be crafted by the messiah himself with one of a kind unobtanium tubing held together with mrTs grr and the hopes and dreams of everybody who ever lived but they still look ghey

if everyone wanted the same bikes i want i would have to pay more for them..
keep up buying all the huh "pretty" bikes you like. i will pass and take the ugly stuff, thanks. :LOL:

Attachments

• garfowicked2.jpg
    garfowicked2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,202
  • garfowicked3.jpg
    garfowicked3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,202
Neil G":16s9w8kc said:
purplewicked":16s9w8kc said:

So apparently I have no taste for not liking that fork lol

I suppose I'm not that anal when it comes to retro bikes, I don't collect them because of their significance to the sport...I collect/lust after them because they're the bikes I REALLY wanted BITD.

I suppose everyone has different reasons for being into retro bikes....maybe I'm not taking it seriously enough lol

yup. nostalgia sucks.

cce":190e1x0d said:
purplewicked":190e1x0d said:
is a Potts ugly?

oh dear, i'm going to be killed. some of the old pottses are ugly as sin with their wrong-way sloping top tube. the torchwork is good, but jordan's plastic surgeons had a lot of skill.....

well, thank G you guys are not interested in good bikes. :LOL:

perry":31s0szz7 said:
im with you 100% neil

lol Glad someone sees my point of view

lol@ the Potts comment too...that serious blasphemy to the refined collectors

Back