1980 MKM Time Trial bike

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
As with some other bikes, this has been seen before but someone mentioned elsewhere that they'd not seen PMP cranks before.

It's the 'Ultimate' model with the ST entering the DT above the BB. Around 35" wheelbase.

Will be used this coming weekend in a '25' in North Yorks, not just a garage queen!

Attachments

• Ultimate150409.1.A.jpg
    Ultimate150409.1.A.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,768
A great retro bike Ned. Briefly, what is the theory behind those cranks? I like the cigarette paper clearances too. Yot have got to think about tight corners on that puppy.

Iwasgoodonce":19l1iilf said:
A great retro bike Ned. Briefly, what is the theory behind those cranks? I like the cigarette paper clearances too. Yot have got to think about tight corners on that puppy.

There was a discussion on here recently about them, can't remember where. Basically there isn't any advantage mechanically, the distance from the crank centre to pedal hole centre is still 170mm (or whatever length they maybe - up to 180 I think). It's all marketing hype (ie b*llsh*t!) - but they look good and always raise a comment or two. Very sought after in the right circles.

I think I can only use 170 cranks on this as anything longer would lift the chain as the right hand crank came up when on the smallest sprocket. The chainstays are very short and I can catch my heel on the gear mech at times.

About clearances - there aren't many tight corners on dual carriageways ;)

i think I read that the "bullshit" is that they remove the flatspot on the pedal stroke or something.....whatever, they still look nuts

Rode it yesterday in a 25 near Thirsk and improved on my last one 3 weeks ago. I did 1-9-38 so achieved my ambition of getting into single minute figures.

Very hard day, lots of strong wind which never seemed to help at all, always seemed to be side or head so I'm pleased with my ride.

I wasn't the slowest!

Major trouble was that the saddle slipped from being flat and fully forward to tilting down and fully back! Goodness knows how as when I tried to re-adjust it I could hardly get the fixing bolt to move without a fair bit of force. Therefore I've swopped it for another which isn't 'aero' but hopefully will be more secure.

Next one on August 15 in Cheshire.

My PMPs

CE854876-1FBF-46A0-A894-93BFC48E3118_zpsxfgfw4yh.jpeg

9A847CA5-2740-43B7-8ABA-B3DC232A8AA0_zps5zegiisx.jpeg

Back