Best TdF in 20 years?

Yup, shame George missed out on the jersey today. I don't get why he didn't push the pace in the last 5-6k and I doubt he'll have the legs tomorrow to stay in contention, but it would be great to see him up there in a weeks time.

Much as I'd love to see Lance mix it up a bit tomorrow, I think it'll be Contador's day....

I've been loving every minute of it. I can't wait for Armstrong or Contador to reveal their hand. The race for the green jersey was fantastic, until todays rather poor decision to DQ Cav.

And Wiggins in the top 5... Who'd have thought it?

Was fascinated by the tactics that were forced upon various teams today and was literally at the edge of my seat for the last 6 minutes to see if Hincapie split the top three or gained the yellow.

Brilliant.

I think we'll see some fireworks today. At the moment Wiggins looks strong enough to hang with all of them on any terrain.
I'm just waiting for the commentators to utter the imortal words " well thats a super human effort from ...... " signaling the latest doping scandel.
For the good of the sport I hope it doesn't happen but it wouldn't surprise me.
I also think the yellow jersey will be decided on the final proper stage. I think thats why there have been no big attacks yet. I think something will happen today but no massive ammounts of time will be won or lost.
Lets hope Wiggins breaks away an gains 5 mins, with no "super human" comments :D

I was a bit shocked by Cavs DQ having seen the footage a couple of times on ITV 4 I aggreed with their commentary team who said the road narrowed rather than Cav moving over. Then I saw the interveiw with the guy that made the decision, could have Thors dad. I'm sure its all right and above board i'm just commenting :?

Cav's result from yesterday has been disqualified and now Thor is 13 points in front. I felt HTC's strategy was wrong yesterday. They should have tried to slow the peleton, with Cav just sitting on the wheel of Thor. Still what do I know?

I think its a terribly boring tour so far and an hoping for some fireworks yet to come. Really hope there will be an upset, so it wont be the astana team taking the victory. They are killing the race.
The only thing interesting so far is the fight for the green jersey. And as I'm not from the UK, I am actually cheering for Hushovd. He's a fantastic rider, and a much more complete rider than Cav. Almost won Paris-Roubaix this year. And was in a break away to take extra points for the jersey. I'd like to see the day Cav does that. Yesterday they weren't trying to win the sprint, but get the yellow jersey to the team. And from a non-UK point of view the DQ was deserved.

Anyway, lets hope we can see some rea rivalry in the next week. Hinault and Lemond managed to serve up a spectacle despite being team mates.

Totally agree with the above post re. Hushovd being a more complete rider than Cavendish which was what was making the points competition so exciting - could a better allrounder (and not a bad sprinter at all!) beat a man who is clearly faster in the run to the line? It was looking like it would go all the way but I fear that, regardless of whether justified or not (not for me), yesterdays disqualification may have tipped the balance which would be a shame for both the contenders.

I'm still enjoying the overall race though as it feels like it will 'go off' at any point, hopefully today at a proper mountain finish where an attack could pay dividends rather than the daft stages where you could attack on a climb but be easily caught in the gentle run in to the finish.

Hincapie's efforts yesterday were exciting too and he was clearly very disappointed that Astana kept the pace of the peleton high enough. Even if he got into yellow he was highly unlikely to keep it until Paris so why the chase from Astana? Perhaps I'm looking for subtext where there isn't any but does it indicate 'issues' with Armstrong who is notoriously keen to harbour a grudge? Does it matter? Not at all, but an interesting sideline to the action.

I thought the peloton left the chase to AG2R? But for some reason Garmin helped? Hadn't realised Astana assisted.

Hushovd is a more complete rider than Cavendish but when Hushovd was the same age they were very similar. Once Cavendish's power starts slipping it'll be interesting to see if he can develop in the same fashion. Kinda like Boonen too.

Maybe as he matures Cav will develop some charm as well.

Hopefully there will be some attacks up to Verbier today. Unfortunately I feel Thursdays TT will have the biggest effect.

Back