Another Panasonic(?) Raleigh

albash82

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
My mate was just given this bike, i know nothing about it but from the 2 listed below, it seems to be a Panasonic Raleigh.
Apologies for the crappy pic, he sent it over from his mobile to mine..

This is the spec for the bits he could find makers marks on...
r mech - shimano 600
f mech - sachs huret
chainset - 105
Rims - mavic monthlery pro
Brakes - Universal
Bars - French made, stamped with "bf" "st etienne" & a coat of arms saying "bellert".
Seatpost - JPR
Saddle - san marco rolls
Pedals - Look tvt?

It's a reynolds 531 and as far as i can remember, he said Italian made?

Dealer sticker is from a place called Kitmoto, in Ajaccio - which after a quick google i find is on Corsica!

I'll get over there and see if i can take some better pics... he plans to use it to get fit around leeds before foraying back into the world of MTB. Anyone know if this is a particularly rare/interesting bike? I honestly have no idea and would like to be able to give him some history!

Cheers,
Al.

PS, he's changed the angle of the bars since this foty!

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,122
Doubtful if it's Italian made if it's a genuine Raleigh. Unless Raleigh had a licensing agreement with an Italian manufacturer?

Is there a frame number? Probably under the bottom bracket.

Strange mix of fittings for a Raleigh, never seen Universal brakes used as standard before but, being in Italy, not surprising to see them.

The seat cluster looks a bit odd, or is it a distortion from the phone photo?

Cheers for the info guys. Just spoke to him and he says the sticker isn't an italian made one... oh well.

frame no is WN4001867

he's been busy with the brasso and says it's comin up really nice!

Seems to think the white paint on the frame is pearlescent??

Oh and i think it may be the photo making the seat cluster look odd but then i could be wrong having not seen the bike myself and also knowing jack-all about road bikes.

isnt the seat cluster one of the shot-in ones from the late 80's.? Like the one that LGF posted up as a query frame a few months ago.

pigman":1yw03f4v said:
isnt the seat cluster one of the shot-in ones from the late 80's.? Like the one that LGF posted up as a query frame a few months ago.

its the same stays, mine was 'SB' serial numbered and had different cable routing.

SB on the bb shell denotes an SBDU built frame. If it's a Panasonic it could be either Ilkeston or Nottingham as SBDU was moved into a small unit at the main Nottingham site around that time

more pics

He brought it over tonight and i took some pics. it rides really nice! needs the brakes properly set up but he's gonna give it some proper tlc and wants to keep it! think he wants to modernise cerain aspects (shifters mainly) as it will be his main bike for the forseeable future but says he'll keep all the old bits so it can go back to this state.

Apparently his gf's brother saw it in someones shed who said he could have it otherwise they were gonna skip it! lucky for him the lad took it!

Attachments

• DSC01516.JPG
    DSC01516.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 3,084
  • DSC01515.JPG
    DSC01515.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 3,084
  • DSC01514.JPG
    DSC01514.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 3,084
  • DSC01513.JPG
    DSC01513.JPG