Something up with rear wheel....

Emoco

Retro Guru
So I have a XTR M950 hub with a XT 9 speed cassette. I have a Shimano HG chain. No gear cable in yet.

When I give the pedals a quick quick, lots of power done, it's as if the wheel changes gear, skips or something, then is fine.

Worried this could cause some injury, Does the lock ring need to be tighter?

could be the lockring - check the cogs aren't loose.

Is the chain 9 speed?

Is the chain new and the cassette worn? Or vice versa. This will cause skipping.

Chain is 9 speed.

XT Cassette looks pretty much new. XTR mech is second hand, but I've used much worse in the past.

I haven't setup with a cable yet so there's no tension. Could this be the problem?

Chain is brand new (and I can't seem to get the pin in all the way for some reason.

I have some XTR M950 cranks but they say they need an IG chain and I have an HG chain. Is this really a big deal? I don't really see what the difference could be :?

Have you got a tight link? Lift the back wheel off the ground and slowly spin the crank. When it jumps check the links in the part of the chain that jumps, they sould all move freely. If you have got a tight one (ooh err) you can loosen them by bending the chain from side to side.

Then again it may be something else.

Back