Advice please - 1991 Kona Cinder Cone

Right, pulled the old stem and it's stamped 25.4, so I guess that makes it a 1&1/8" steerer.

Had thought about getting a quill to a-head adaptor, and then getting a decent quality 80-100mm riser stem, but after doing some more research, I came across a quill stem called a Syncros Cattleprod, which I understand could be had in a 110mm / 15 degree rise.

So, really need to have a hunt for one of these (I think they look fairly similar to the original Velocity stem) on ebay etc, and if I can't find one after a few weeks I'll just go the adaptor / a-head route.

One other question - another poster on here mentioned that he'd "drilled out the lower cable stop so that v-brakes could be used". My bike has Deore v-brakes and v-brake levers, but not sure what is meant my drilling out the cable stop - is this essential for the v-brakes to work correctly, and if so would it apply to a steel cinder cone?

Cheers
BB

What size bike is it and you got any pictures :D
All we have is http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catal ... Inner2.jpg

80mm seems very short for a 1991 style bike, bad back or not.
They would have around 130mm length as standard +- 5/10mm depending on bike size.
Try something like 110/120 with rise.

As for the V-brake, take a picture around the seat collar/brake setup so we can see how it's setup now.
Since there is no cable stop to run the rear noodle to frame cable normally.

hi there, think it is a 19", though if you go on the geometry given in the original 1991 brochure (which I still have), it doesn't correspond to any of the frame sizes quoted...

i've added a couple of pics of rear brake / stem arrangement which i hope will shed some light on what i'm trying to get across - the picture of the cable for the rear v-brake just cuts off the small black ring around the base of the seatpost which the rear brake cable (surrounded by a thin plastic sheath) runs through, and then runs alongside the top-tube before coming up and round to the brake lever.

as you can see from the pic, the cable doesn't sit squarely in the caliper arm, not sure what can be done about this - is it worth re-attaching the arms with the stopper pin in the outer of the three frame locating holes instead of the central hole as it is now?

Cheers
BB

Attachments

• jse_Copy_of_2009_July_v2_005.jpg
    jse_Copy_of_2009_July_v2_005.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,987
  • jse_Copy_of_2009_July_v2_006.jpg
    jse_Copy_of_2009_July_v2_006.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,987
  • jse_Copy_of_2009_July_v2_010.jpg
    jse_Copy_of_2009_July_v2_010.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,987
Might be able to fix that simply by bending the noodle so the bend is a greater angle......I'm assuming your brake cable is going through the seatpost collar rather than bypassing it :D

BB Size?

Hi, i am also in the process of getting a 91 Cinder Cone back on the road, a beautiful red steed, can anyone suggest a link where I can find out some specs before i start buying parts?
Ideally I need the BB bottom bracket size (and type), the front mech diameter, the seatpost diameter and.. that's it! It's a size 20 frame I think although in reality much smaller than most 20s due to the sloping top tube. Any help gratefully appreciated and will contribute to another lovely bike being seen about and not kept in a shed with cobwebs! Thanks, Paul

Ah sorry guys you must be right, it must be a '92 model! Is this the same specs as the '91? Thanks a lot for sending that link through bertberr, is there a similar document for the 92 models? I think the red one is quite rare, I searched everywhere on the web for a similar frame to ascertain what year it is but couldn't find one anywhere, hence my confusion on the build date... THanks!

BB

Great! Thanks for your help guys!

What size BB do you think I need? plus what diameter seatpost - these details don't seem to be mentioned.. :-S

Back