When do you qualify for being 'IN' with the LBS?

I used to be on good terms with the guys in John's Bikes in Bath simply because I used to bring in a steady stream of odd and retro bikes. Oh, and I often paid them in beer and cake.

I got odd looks the first time I walked into the Bike Chain in Edinburgh with cakes looking for some work done, but after hanging around for a while and proving I wasn't going to do anything silly, I was allowed workshop access and went riding with the guys.

It's just a pity I can't find a decent bike shop here in West London - it's a mile up or down the road to get to one at all, and then it's a nasty chain.

When I turn up on my Pace and whilst I chat to the older guy about how things are with the baby (he knows her name!) one of the younger guys is explaining to the saturday boy what a RC200 is and why it rocks.

I also get offered a cuppa occasionally.

You are really in when you have your own mug there!

I used to hang about Bromley bike, years ago, just after buying the Yo-eddy, those were the days when i was spending a fortune in there, and was often the hanger about,Once got moaned at by Dave -peewee Hemming, for watching him struggle to put a back wheel in, While adjusting the ringle twisters at the same time, and not offering to hold the wheel. I was just in awe at being allowed to stand that near him. LOL

When you get pizza and beer in shop after hours.. ;)

Not every LBS is as friendly tho eh, there's another one down the road [dare I mention names?] that is quite frankly just plain <expletive> rude..

kase1983":3dlxbbb0 said:
come to mikes bikes in cambridge ware i work, people just walk about everyware and use the work shop as a cut throu to the show room! and when moaned at they look blank even thou there is a massive sign! if your retro lover and in cambs pop by for a chat! if new school then spend some money! lol

:D

ah, i knew you were one of the guys from there... My Orange Patriot was in last summer getting the BB removed when i couldn't get it to budge.

I think the extent of our conversation was:

You: 'Nice bike mate'

Me: 'Cheers, f00king BB is stuck'

You: 'No worries, we'll get it out'

So, you do a discount for forum members? :)

I think I'm in at the one I consider worthwhile due to the couple of guys there who rummage through the boxes of stuff they still had stashed at their parent's place, and then bring the stuff in and stash it in the back for me to peruse.

I happily on the outs at another store where some nudnick told me that I really should "upgrade" to 9 speed.

Back