Woohoo...Treasure trove!

Carsten G.

Dirt Disciple
Just back from Florida and wandered into a local bikestore to get a few bits whilst the old Dollar was weak against the squid. Anyway, they didnt have the bits I needed (V-brake XTR levers only) but browsing around I stumbled across other retro bits. Amongst other things was a mint Klein Rascal buildt in full old-skool XTR :shock: , a deore XT Stumpjumper (cro-mo fork and thumbies), also a Pinnacle frame with fork and a couple of Fervor frames..one with coloured rockshox fork . Also a 1st gen Trek OCLV mtb also with full old XTR. Yea, yea.. a couple of Attitudes but all trek monstrosities with those funny pared-down headsetubes.

Of course my will power was weakend by this so I wandered out of there with a NOS Klein Rascal frame in Candy-red ('91 or '92 I think). No fork dammit though..

Being cheeky I asked if they had any old bits lying around for this thing, the owner dragged me around the storerooms and opened a cabinet filled with a jumble of lx/xt/xtr bits... all boxed, some retro some new.. woohoo!!
Anyhow, much the poor sods iritation (mechanic who got the job of watching me), I added a XT biopace chainset, XT toeclip pedal set, XT Cantis(x2), XT "1 headset, Deore thumbies (no XT dammit), XT front derailleur and a 1st gen Flite saddel...ALL spankers new in boxes from the early 1990's

I almost walked out of there with an old A*TAC stem and Hyperlite (purple..hehe..) also but want a combo Klein stem/bars instead, in 1" black.

All in all a good day for the retro-junkie in me and made up for the time wasted in traffic trying to get there. Creditcard took a whack though :twisted:

My questions are now:
0. frame has had wheels on it and headset but is sooo pretty.. should I build it up?
1. What fork is best for said frame
2. I need a new old Deore XT rear derailleur.
3. ANybody have a Tioga disc wheel?
4. Klein Mission stem/bar combo unit in 1"?...anybody got one?
5. Do I need either a purple or red ringle seatpost?.. ohhhh yes..pimp? :D

I'm not going to be rude enough to ask how much you paid, but how much was the other stuff - like the Rascal with XTR? I suppose the concept of old stuff in shops intrigues me, most I know just knocked it down super cheap when it was old rather than retro and it all went out the door. It must be good for them to now get good money for this stuff, but how many shops actually recognise that a retro 'community' exists? As you found, many of them just have this stuff in a box somewhere, and don't know how to sell it.

Back